ylclaret

Sighting in my bow, and getting frustrated...

I'm trying to get ready for my archery elk hunt. I haven't been able to practice as much as I would have liked because I needed a new string and wanted a new sight, and due to funds being a little tight it took a little longer than I wanted. I got a new string and Montana black gold rush sight with 9 pins. I've been trying to get my all my pins set but I'm getting a little frustrated. I've never had any archery lessons, just tried to teach myself as I go. I managed to get my old sight sighted in pretty well and could shoot ok, but I don't want to shoot ok, I want to shoot really well! Anyway, I feel like I need some professional help. I don't know how tight my groups should be with a given pin before I back up and start trying to get the next one zeroed and I'm getting frustrated because I will shoot some pretty nice groups and then just start spraying the target with arrows. Am I just shooting too much and getting tired? Sorry for the million questions, I'm just trying to get my equipment and myself as prepared as possible. I was reading some great things on this sight about Jesse at Bull Basin archery, is he my best bet to get myself on track? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

You need to put 3 arrows inside a 3" circle or better at 20, 30 and 40 yards or at least 20 to 30 yards depending how far will be your shooting, if you can do that you'll be ok.

Is hard to give you advice or tell you what is wrong with out seeing you shooting and inspecting your bow. Is it your shooting position? How many grains are you shooting? etc.

See if you can have a coueswhitetail member that lives close to you.. get to shoot together and maybe he can help you out; or, go to a bow shop and ask them for help. Show them pcitures of your groups or if they have a shooting range even better.

Good luck with your bow and your hunt.

Ernesto C

Where are you located at?

I live out in picture rocks, near Marana. I'm shooting gold tip hunter xt 5575 arrows. And 100 grain field tips. Not sure how many grains over all. My bow is a Hoyt Rampage xt. If there is anyone available in the area that would be awesome.

You know you're not too far from PSE in Tucson and they are just a few blocks off the freeway. Maybe they can help you out.

• Like 2

After taking a couple hours off I just went out and shot a little more. I think I may be shooting too many arrows too quickly and wearing myself out. I shot one group before I thought to take pictures. These are 20, 30,40 and 50 yards respectively. I think I need to move that 50 pin up just a bit but it'll give you an idea of the grouping anyway. (Sorry the photos are sideways... Can't figure out to flip them)

post-10709-0-08344400-1377374462_thumb.jpg

post-10709-0-61982800-1377374502_thumb.jpg

post-10709-0-84514500-1377374531_thumb.jpg

post-10709-0-21982800-1377374565_thumb.jpg

Something seems out of wack, maybe your trying to pull to much weight. Shooting fast is not better than shooting accurate. But could be a hundred other things as well. I know after a long evening if shooting I will start spraying arrows all over, but that's normally after 70+ shots. Nothing beats practice though.

Quality over quantity. Slow and deliberate for each shot. Breathe, exhale and relax, concentrate more on the aim than the trigger... the shot going off should almost be a surprise. Don't grip the grip, keep your hand open and relaxed.

Also, number your arrows on the fletching so you can tell if one is consistently flying different than the others. Your groups have that look in the further ranges.

• Like 3

I had it restrung and they said they tuned it. This is the first time I've had to put a new string on so I definitely don't know all the in's and out's of what is necessary after having it done.

I would have your draw length measured and then rechecked by someone else. Improper draw length can make it difficult to get a consistent anchor which is key to accuracy. I see a lot of people with draw lengths that are too long

i shoot 2 arrows at a trime then take a walk to the target, it gives me excersise and keeps me from robin houding my arrows since fullmetal jackets aren't cheep and it gives me a rest. 70lbs will where me out . pacients

Try getting your 20 yard dialed in. Until you figure out whats happening, it's fruitless to continue shooting 30,40,50 as the problem will be compounded the further out you shoot. Once you get that, then move on to longer distances.

Although you said they tuned it, it wouldn't be a bad idea to verify starting with paper tuning.

Good luck!

Nothing beats good form and repetition of good form. nothing worse than practicing bad form over and over again until it becomes muscle memory... At that point you're screwed until you practice it out of your system. Get a pro, take lessons, and good luck!

• Like 1