Sign in to follow this  
trphyhntr

Sitting vs Spot and Stalk

im guessing this has been brought up before, and im sure sitting on a honey hole that youve researched is optimum but you do any of you guys kill consistently with spot and stalk as well? ive never killed a deer with my bow but ive never really hunted them very hard either. my hunting partner is making it sound like its nearly impossible or something to kill them any way but from a tree stand.

I've killed them both ways. It's like everything else, it's only impossible until you do it the first time. After that, it's a lot easier.

My preference for coues deer is to sit ambushes, but that's a technique that I settled on because my area is very loud. Rocky, dry grass, thick brush, hard to be quiet, no matter how good you are, so for a mediocre stalker like me it's best to sit still & let them come to me. In other areas that are more favorable for stalking it can be a very effective technique. I think the terrain & your knowledge of the area should determine what method you use.

• Like 3

I like spot and stalk. Haven't killed a Coues yet, but it's not because I couldn't stalk within bow range- I have choked on the shot and missed 4 times and never cut a hair... it's torture. if you know me and how many arrows I shoot per week you'd never guess I was worse than Shaq at the foul line when it comes to sealing the deal.

I like spot and stalk. Haven't killed a Coues yet, but it's not because I couldn't stalk within bow range- I have choked on the shot and missed 4 times and never cut a hair... it's torture. if you know me and how many arrows I shoot per week you'd never guess I was worse than Shaq at the foul line when it comes to sealing the deal.

Nothing you can do but keep shooting. You'll connect.

/>I like spot and stalk. Haven't killed a Coues yet, but it's not because I couldn't stalk within bow range- I have choked on the shot and missed 4 times and never cut a hair... it's torture. if you know me and how many arrows I shoot per week you'd never guess I was worse than Shaq at the foul line when it comes to sealing the deal.

Even sitting Iv shaved backs at 20 yards happens to the best and in my case the worst of us haha

Do you ever shoot at 3D deer targets?

jeramy ulmer from chasen a dream outfitters has killed some awesome record book bucks with spot and stalk. next tim in payson stop by his archery shop you will s''t

Do you ever shoot at 3D deer targets?

Our club down here has a monthly HMABC 3D shoot... I do okay- I shot a 216 in unlimited in July, and in the 240's hunter class for the August shoot. Not a competitive shooter by any means. I also hit the HMABC walk-through range a few times per week, 15 burlap animal targets ranging from 20-60yds with 6" and 8" vital circles. I do pretty good on those.

Didn't want to hijack the OP's thread with my lack of archery prowess- so I'll reiterate that I like spot and stalk over sitting in a blind unless I REALLY have a buck patterned and I can't build up some brush to hide behind.

• Like 1

Couldn't remember the name of the shop in pays on but I was in a archery shop and these amazing bucks were on the wall.

post-9346-0-26442400-1377565266_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Personally, I like sitting. To me there is nothing like sitting in the woods and hearing an animal start to come into the area and they have no clue that you are there. Really gets the blood flowing! Plus, most of the areas that I hunt are noisy areas. Lots of leaves, twigs, rocks, and dry grass.

Couldn't remember the name of the shop in pays on but I was in a archery shop and these amazing bucks were on the wall.

That's the one...Chasin the Dream. Amazing bucks. I beleive a couple of those are his wife's and son's.

I was told the one all the way to the left was his wifes. Not sure if I should say this or not but when I was down there one of the guys that works there had a dead head of a coues that scored 141!!! I couldn't believe it!! The mass was unbelievable!

Guest oneshot

I prefer to set treestands, I like to hunt thicker terrain where glassing doesnt work, but if I get antsy I'll do the "Two-Step" stalking through prime cover, only taking two steps at a time(4 at the most), even though it's like walking on corn flakes where I hunt, you can get close to deer...

Arrow nocked, off hand with thumb hooked in pocket to keep arm movement down, always stopping with left foot foward(righthand shooter), checking ALL around with each pause, trying to stay in shadow, walking along deer trails(where deer expect movement), let go of time (I might cover 100yards in an hour or more)... Staying focused can be tough, but in prime areas a Deer can show-up at anytime...