Sign in to follow this  
kimberx2

Any luck on the otc archery turkey hunt?

Any one having any luck for turkeys?

I made it out to 23 this weekend and didn't see many deer. Lots of rhinos though...

Finally got on some turkeys Sunday at around 9am. A flock of about ten Jakes and hens. Picked out the biggest Jake and let the wac-um do its business. He didn't even go five yards. The flock stuck around for around 1/2 hr yelping and keekeeing. When I was sure they were gone I retrieve the Jake and tagged him.

Hope everyone is having good luck, and hope I can find some deer.

post-8184-0-28622500-1377484258_thumb.jpg

Any one having any luck for turkeys?

I made it out to 23 this weekend and didn't see many deer. Lots of rhinos though...

Finally got on some turkeys Sunday at around 9am. A flock of about ten Jakes and hens. Picked out the biggest Jake and let the wac-um do its business. He didn't even go five yards. The flock stuck around for around 1/2 hr yelping and keekeeing. When I was sure they were gone I retrieve the Jake and tagged him.

Hope everyone is having good luck, and hope I can find some deer.

We where there also had turkeys and deer coming in but once opening morning came they all went else where with some here and there but no opportunities to shot.

Nice job! My buddy got a shot on opening day, but missed. :-(

My dad got this hen yesterday in unit 27.... Not this biggest but its going to be great eating and with a bow is a good accomplishment. Just got back to Tucson today. Our 1st day in 27 (saturday) turkeys were gobbling everywhere it was crazy.

post-3993-0-09262700-1377554475_thumb.jpg

Steven, I was just getting ready to post about your dad getting that bird. Looks like you beat me to it.lol You and your pappy sure know how to get it done.

Best wishes tomorrow at the ranch.

Terry

• Like 1

Nice birds. Congrats to you guys who got them. I was in 4A for the week and ran into 5 flocks in 3 days. I had one shot at 45 yards but somehow missed. I guess those birds are smaller than you think! It was a flock of about 6 nice toms and the rest jakes and hens. Oh well maybe next weekend when I can get back out. Anyone have some strategies to getting close are calling techniques that work in the fall?..All the birds I saw never made one peep...

Thanx for the responses. Congrats Doublelunger.

In the fall they recommend If you miss your shot and break up the flock, stay hidden and kee kee. The birds will come back trying to get back in the flock and you can get another shot. I almost always hear turkeys before I see them. They always seem to be making some kinds of noises. Except when they are coming into a waterhole then I usually hear them shut up about 100 yds out and come in silent.

I would also try some soft yelps if I knew they were close but not sure where. Maybe with a slate. Good luck everyone..

• Like 1