Sign in to follow this  
AZLance

Buenos Aries Refuge Closed

I always thought those water jugs were out there for archers to make sure our bows were still sighted in while in the field.

BMF1321,

It's funny that you say that. I took a buddy of mine hunting down there for his first trip to the refuge in January 2006.

He was working down a wash and found 8 gallon jugs , each 3/4 full of water. These were 'newer' jugs (not the ones spray painted black to avoid detection ) and had been left there very recently for someone to easily find them, while they await for there ride to the next pickup point.

So I see him coming towards me with this hugh smile. I ask , well did you get a shot? His reply was 'no', but I put my KNIFE through 8 jugs of water, and his reply , "just doing my part to fight terrorism". :ph34r:

It will be interesting to see how long the refuge stays closed with 3 rifle seasons approaching , followed by a 45 day archery season extending into 2007.

AzP&Y

I don't think all the people that have moved here from Kalifornia and New Jersey will agree with that. They have no clue of reality.

My name is dave and I approve this message.

My name is BOB and I don't approve your message! HAHA!!

Don't lump ALL Kalifornians in the same bucket. Geographically, most of the state is red and does have a good sensce of reality--LA, SD and SF is where most of the whackos live. The rest of us just always got outvoted.

Yea im sure that will work........hahaha. The Gov. Just doesn't want to spend the money.

My thing is this is a national issue and our Gov shouldn't be the one calling the shots. Unless shots is the option he choses to take then by all means load and make ready! :P

I agree I think word will get out that there are a ton of folks out there with rifles and in camo and they'll move elsewhere to cross. I believe the crossing season is starting its annual decline. Harvest have already begun up north and the drug folks have done theres down south. Most we'll see in a few months are the tuck loads going back home to pay bills with American coin they earned here tax free. Mind you all the while on roads that our tax dollars are paying for. Ironic to say the least...

cmc

Its hard for me to believe that only 10 years ago I lived at the Garcia ranch house on the south-east corner of the refuge. I spent two years on the refuge while doing research for my MS. heck, my wife used to go down with me in the summers and stay at the house alone while I worked. I'm not sure I would want to work down there anymore, probably wouldn't stay at the Garcia place, and sure wouldn't leave my wife alone at the house. It's a sad state of affairs folks!

Kevin

cmc

[i agree I think word will get out that there are a ton of folks out there with rifles and in camo and they'll move elsewhere to cross. I believe the crossing season is starting its annual decline. Harvest have already begun up north and the drug folks have done theres down south. Most we'll see in a few months are the tuck loads going back home to pay bills with American coin they earned here tax free. Mind you all the while on roads that our tax dollars are paying for. Ironic to say the least...]

I have to disagree with my friend. I believe with the weather cooling off the push is on BIG TIME. The Border Patrol and the National Guard will both tell you it is out of control...OUT OF THEIR CONTROL!!!

Who's control is it in???

What will it take for people to wake up?

Its hard for me to believe that only 10 years ago I lived at the Garcia ranch house on the south-east corner of the refuge. I spent two years on the refuge while doing research for my MS. heck, my wife used to go down with me in the summers and stay at the house alone while I worked. I'm not sure I would want to work down there anymore, probably wouldn't stay at the Garcia place, and sure wouldn't leave my wife alone at the house. It's a sad state of affairs folks!

Kevin

Kevin, it has been one of my favorite places. I started hunting there 42 years ago when I was eight. I saw your post and didn't say anything thinking someone would know what you were talking about.

Sorry Bob :) Shame on me.

Your forgiven Dave-- :D

Dave--

But you are right--Kalifornia is loaded with nutcases, anti-hunters and tree huggers. They shove their politics down all of our throats. I lived in Lassen county--waaaaay up in the NE corner and that county and the ones around it NEVER voted to put a liberal in the legislature. It was run by Ranchers and Loggers. The town I lived in was an old logging town surrounded by NF and private timber land. 2000 population.

BOB

I used to hunt down there the last few years I lived in AZ, I think were I still to hunt down there I may just have to drink those black jugs and recycle some water(albeit salty and mildly yellowish in color) back into those jugs for em. Of course it would really suck if someone had the same idea I did only before me, or after me for that matter. :lol: It is a real shame to see it come to this. :angry: AG

Bob,

We are coming close to joining Kalifonia in banning lion hunting. That is the first animal on their list of all.

I know--and it will mean the death knell for the deer, antelope and elk herds--some joggers too. I sense that the ballot initiative process is running amok here in AZ as it has in CA. That is what got the ban on lion hunting enacted --not the wildlife and fish & game people.and not the legilature. They opposed it to no avail. I don't know if they can use that process here in AZ. Politics have no place in game management.

Also in CA--county supervisors can veto any special hunts within their county--generally, they will veto either sex or doe hunts, which has put undo pressure on the bucks and some herds have had buck to doe ratios as low as 3 per 100 does. Well below the minimum 20 or so required to sustain a herd. Better hope it doesn't happen here.