Sign in to follow this  
Red Rabbit

Different Tactics

One other thing - once the shooting starts - start looking in the thickest, nastiest parts of the terrain. more than likely, that is where the older, smarter bucks will be hiding out. CB

First, great post, I love reading it. Very good comments so far!

I agree with most of the difference people are noticing but also once the shooting starts, look in the most secluded or least pressured areas. These areas are sometimes the most overlooked, especially because they might not look like the best whitetail areas. Example, we were hunting a popular mountain, which everyone was hunting up high due to the cover and vegetation. On the third day of the hunt the deer had all been chased hard and I'd come to find one of the largest (solo) bucks down off the mountain in muley open-country with no whitetail hunters around! It was in Nov., so the temp. might not have been as much of a factor for him to drop into low country.

Also, the largest bucks I've located are usually solo in both Oct & Nov, while the decent 85-90 inch bucks will still be bachelored up or even occassionally with does.

Guest Ernesto C

Azcoues_addict, yes, hunting pressure may push them down, but is no secret that coues loves the flats.Also dont think that higier elevations hold cooler temperatures,is not always like that. It may be cooler on the flats and also they like the cool breeze from here(flats). So dont think that in November the flats are warmer than highier country;cooler temperatures drop lower that warmer layers of temperature.

That's why I always said hunt the nort-north west facing slopes because they get less sun and it is always cooler there.

The bigest bucks I have seen are on the flats,way out there with no hills around them so I can plan a stalk.

Last year you wont believe where I saw a really nice 26 to 28 inch wide 4 point muley; the hunting pressure from muley hunters on the flats push him up.

Ernesto C

Aim for the vitals

I myself, like a lot of you, head way-out beyond the buffer zone, aka… a hunters day loop.

So the areas I hunt don’t get a lot of pressure throughout the year.

What does change is the amount of deer I find in these zones.

It seems, during Oct and Nov hunts, the whitetail I find heading into the backcountry are either

Looking for better food sources, water, and relief from hunter pressure.

But during the December hunts many of the bigger whitetails are like Vagabonds, just out looking

For a hot date, with a few little guys hanging out due to hunter pressure.

I too have seen many whitetails down in the lower elevations during high pressure hunts.

They like to show up in areas where I am not expecting them! :o

So I work the solo-hunts, light-weight and ready to pack-out a wise old dude.

Working beyond the buffer zone has been very productive of the last 25 years.

BC :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

I feel that many coues bucks live in the flats year around and are not necessarly pressured there. I base that on seeing low land bucks during both the early bow and late bow in the same area. I also feel that real mature bucks do not move far out of their home range even when hunting pressure is high. I believe they have a secure thick area that has allowed them to live through many seasons. I of coarse try to find areas with the least amount of pressure, but really don't plan on other hunters pressuring animals to my position. I want to hunt unpressured deer. Of coarse if you send one my way. I will take it.

Bob

It has been said more than a few times but in the last few years I have been seeing more and more Coues in the flats especially in 36C. Like 2-3 miles away from anything resembleing a hill let alone a mountain. I have noticed this during the off season so it is not because of pressure. I have'nt had a 36C Coues tag in more than a few years.

:ph34r:

I have hunted all the seasons and I like the Oct. hunt almost as much as the Dec. hunt. In some ways more! I definitely hang closer to water and have glassed bucks at all hours of the day. I also, am usually plenty far enough from the nearest road to not have had any problems with other hunters. the bucks are usually still running together and the weather is totally unpredictable.I have had hotter then he_ l, to snow on these hunts. I love to backpack in and it is a little easier during Oct. compared to the Dec. hunts. The break between the Archery hunt and the Rifle hunt seems to calm the deer down a bit. Good luck to everyone on these early hunts!

I will be out there in one week from today! Whoo Hoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

later Rich T.

It may sound crazy, but it's my opinion that Arizona's whitetail bucks are a bit like big bass. There are "honey holes" that seem to always produce good bucks year after year, no matter the season.

I know of two places -- a certain rocky outcropping in the Santa Ritas and a short, steep ridge in the San Cayetanos -- where I would bet I could find good bucks any day in October or November.

As with bass, it is not long before other good bucks move into these places when the original bucks are removed.

Bill Quimby

:)

I think there is some good advise in all of this. Glad it was brought up.

As for the "they are where you find them", I've heard this before, but personally, I like a little more control and certainty than that. Make me try harder.

When we do the backpack thing and get into isolated areas, the time of year doesn't seem to matter...we see bucks throughout the day. It's been so long since I've had a December hunt (~12 years) that I won't enter an opinion. As others have said in this thread, October is very good for finding bucks in a natural state, undisturbed and in my opinion, easier to stalk and kill than in November. November does have the advantage of being a longer hunt and giving a hunter more days in the field (if spouse/work allow) to find that big fellow. Cheers and good luck!!!