Sign in to follow this  
MT_Sourdough

Anybody using a levergun for Coues?

Never shot anything with the levers but I collect some. I run the 45/70 in my saddle all times and I have several 30/30 winchesters I play shoot. I love shooting iron sight and can lay em in good to 200.

• Like 1

ill be carrying a westpoint 3030 that my grandfather bought in wilcox in the late 60s, it shot my first few mule deer and my first elk, hopefully it will whack its first coues deer this year. I shoot the leverevolution ammo and it hasnt had a problem out to 255 yards so far on a muley last year, we will see what this year holds....

• Like 2

Normally my back up rifle is a savage 99 in .243 win. This season I have a buddy new to hunting that is going to carry it as primary.

• Like 1

I like all the responses and appreciate knowing that not everybody is packing a super flat shooting long range hunting rifle. Not that there is anything wrong with them. If I were a trophy hunter looking for that one big monster, I'd go for something other than a big bore lever. For me, if I get a Coues buck in my first ever attempt for one and do it with my beloved big bore lever, then that would be quite satisfying enough.

I have to pass on that I apparently have a bad scope base on my '65 444. It's a long story that I won't rehash here, but all my load development work never bore repeatable results and it is too late in the game to start load development with my '07 444 SS. I have complete confidence with the repeatable submoa accuracy with Hornady Superperformance 444 265gr FP (from a bench of course). I have enough of the Hornady ammo to do a decent amount of shooting in the field off my sticks and prone over back pack and some off hand practice.

It's humbling to have to resort on factory ammo for my hunt, but I took my load testing with my Sage Country II bullet right up unto the deadline. As a result of a bad base, I never accomplished what I needed and it is too late in the game to start a new working up a load.

The bottom line, I am so excited that I will soon be toting my 444 and going after some Coues buck. Man, I LOVE THE HUNT!

• Like 1

I have a few lever action rifles. I have my grandpa's 300 Savage model 99 and two Winchester model 88's. One in .308 and the other in .243. All of them in great shape and accurate.

• Like 2

/>I have a few lever action rifles. I have my grandpa's 300 Savage model 99 and two Winchester model 88's. One in .308 and the other in .243. All of them in great shape and accurate.
heck yeah. My bro took his biggest coues 116" with this very same model gun. 300 Savage at 250yds! I love this rifle. We've killed a ton of venison with this gun.

As I write this...we're getting ready to head out for SC tribal deer this AM!!!

• Like 1

/>I have a few lever action rifles. I have my grandpa's 300 Savage model 99 and two Winchester model 88's. One in .308 and the other in .243. All of them in great shape and accurate.
heck yeah. My bro took his biggest coues 116" with this very same model gun. 300 Savage at 250yds! I love this rifle. We've killed a ton of venison with this gun.

As I write this...we're getting ready to head out for SC tribal deer this AM!!!

Some day, I will buy a Winchester 1895 converted to .35 Whelen or .338-06. That will be my "go to" hunting in the junipers rifle.

Ohhh...big fan of the 'classic wildcats' esp the Whelen...and this sounds super interesting....other than that, a Win model 88 in .243 or .284 sounds really interesting...