muledeerarea33?

Clifton flooding.

My dad just sent me some pictures of the frisco flooding in Clifton. The water is 2feet up the steps at my aunts house! She lives down by the flood gate. They got her and some stuff out and took her up to verde lee to my folks house. I'd post pics if I knew how to from my phone. Anyone up that way have any updates about what's going on? I'm still fuzzy about the details myself.

http://www.azcentral.com/news/arizona/articles/20130915flooding-near-clifton-forces-evacuations.html?nclick_check=1

Looks like they had to close the flood gate today...crazy. We talked about that on the way to 27 for elk last year...wondered how often the flood gate has to be closed. Sounds like it is receding...hopefully no more rains upstream.

It was built in the early-mid 90's I've seen it closed 3 times since then personally. Not sure if more or not? Funny thing is, it looks like they built it to hinge the wrong way? If it ever floods so bad that the bridge is wiped out and debris is in the way, they have to be on the river side of the gate to clear it so it can open again. I'm no engineer but it seems bassackwards to me.

It was closed about 4 hours. I was stuck on the Morenci side. They've got that big levy and the gates but apparently no way to shut the storm drains, so the river backs up into Clifton thru the drains. Don't see where that does much good other than to keep out the large debris. That's why those houses flooded.

• Like 1

That's funny scott, I just of the phone with my mom and she said the exact same thing. I wonder if a class action suit against the designer or whoever forgot to block the storm drain is in order? I'm not a law suit guy but goodness!

• Like 1

30 years ago my stuff was in storage in Clifton.. the mine was on strike and the entire situatation was ugly. Good luck to all affected in this.

30 yrs ago when I was 3 months old apperantly we were the last car out before they shut the bridge.my dad stayed in morenci to work (not for the mine) just hot an update that the storm drain causing the town flood got closed and the water went down in town, some houses had a few feet of water in them. The river is still high.