Sign in to follow this  
1uglydude

First and last light coues

I haven't used the 50 mm but use the 4.5-14×40 and I think it is good for shots to 700 yard's. If the deer is a good one you will have no problem with that scope. If he is little you might. I would say don't waste the money. But if it is what you want then get it

My brother is a sniper for the Mesa PD SWAT team. He bought the vortex, ran it through the box test which it passed and he loves its clarity. Killed a 112" buck with it last year. He swears by it for the price.

Guest oneshot
I've been extremely happy with clarity. Longest target shooting has been at 900 and clarity was excellent at that distance. Unfortunately, I can't afford to collect these scopes. I purchased a vortex 6.5-20x44 for my wife's rifle and I just bought a vortex 6.5-20x50 to mount on a scouting rifle (never leave home w/o lion tag and rifle). I wish I had feedback on these scopes but I haven't used either one yet.

One shot,

For a guy who shoots all them critters w traditional equipment, I'm surprised you even allow yourself the use of a scope. I would have guessed iron sights for you. What can I say, I need to make up for less skills. Your resume is long my friend and I admire your passion and success.

hehehe GotCoues a scoped rifle holds a special place in my heart, not only dropping those deer that beat me during bow season, but there is a certain joy in making longer shots at un-aware critters...

I have a VX-3 6.5x20 with the 40. Last year we were making shots at 700 yards. I turned it up to 20 and didn't like it. 16 was the highest setting I was comfortable shooting. Probably switching it out this year after my upcoming hunt. Nothing wrong with the scope I just don't have a use for that high of magnification.

I have a VX-3 6.5x20 with the 40. Last year we were making shots at 700 yards. I turned it up to 20 and didn't like it. 16 was the highest setting I was comfortable shooting. Probably switching it out this year after my upcoming hunt. Nothing wrong with the scope I just don't have a use for that high of magnification.

Was it a clarity issue at 20 power, or you just didn't like zooming that close?

Clarity was getting a little fuzzy but not too bad. It was more of a zoom thing for me.

I like a larger field of view so I can see whats going on around what I'm aiming at.

I have 2 VX3 4.5-14x40 and I really like them. I hit an Antelope with it and a 270WSM at 510 yards last year. They fit the rifles very well and i am happy with the field of view. I looked at the 6.5-20 and i found that I was not comfortable at 20 even with a vice.

My personal preference is either a quality 4.5-14 or 3-15, (40 or 50mm) both have plenty of power to get the job done out to 500+ depending upon your ability. If using a quality optic, difference in light transmission between the two objectives will be minimal. If you cant do it with those selections, more power will be of little benefit unless you are shooting well past 500.