Sign in to follow this  
CouesRanger

The first pile of blood

So what happens in this scenario? You can only go back up on the weekends or for a couple days at a time to seach for the animal you KNOW you hit hard. The hunt ends and you find a downed animal that you firmly believe was the one you hit. Can you still wrap your tag around bone and at least recover the skull and/or antlers? Or is that a violation because the hunt ended?

I believe that is a violation but not positive. A couple yrs ago a guy on here found someone elses bull and they recovered it after the hunt was over. G&F took the rack and auctioned it off back to the hunter.

So what happens in this scenario? You can only go back up on the weekends or for a couple days at a time to seach for the animal you KNOW you hit hard. The hunt ends and you find a downed animal that you firmly believe was the one you hit. Can you still wrap your tag around bone and at least recover the skull and/or antlers? Or is that a violation because the hunt ended?

I was told a couple ears ago by someone at game and fish that you could tag the animal; however you can't have a weapon. The Steve Chappell shot and lost a bull that was later recovered by game and fish and he had to by it back at the auction.

I honestly don't think game and fish knows what's the right thing to do is.

I was told a couple ears ago by someone at game and fish that you could tag the animal; however you can't have a weapon. The Steve Chappell shot and lost a bull that was later recovered by game and fish and he had to by it back at the auction.

I honestly don't think game and fish knows what's the right thing to do is.

"I honestly don't think game and fish knows what's the right thing to do is."

Shocking!

• Like 1

These kind of stories make me sick. YES it "happens" but don't we owe it to the animal out of respect to find it and make sure its cared for properly? Most of these stories end with the hunter tagging ANOTHER animal. How many chances should you get ethically??? Its up to us to minimize this somewhat acceptable practice within the hunting community. I'm sure my statements may ruffle some feathers, oh well. I speak the truth and if nothing else these words may be remembered the next time we all have a "questionable" shot opportunity. Just my 2 cents. Have a great rest of your hunts people.

Ps...I truly hope that those of you that have lost bulls, find them

We do owe it to the animal to look for it extensively and many of us do take the time to do that.

What makes me even more sick than losing an animal is someone taking a second animal and not counting that first one as their bull. If you hit a bull that good, then you are tagged out. I know this is common practice in the hunting community to keep shooting til you get a tagged animal, but its complete BS to me. When you lose your animal that you know has been hit good, then the hunt should be over and all further efforts go toward recovering the animal.

• Like 5

Guest oneshot

NatureGirl "When you lose your animal that you KNOW has been hit good, then the hunt should be over and all further efforts go toward recovering the animal"...

I agree 100%...

Some don't agree...

Sometimes that hit isn't as good as you thought it was and the animal recovers...

Sometimes the critter will make a death run with no clear trail and never be found...