So if some of us get lucky, and get tags what are you going to shoot? I am going to shoot my winchester model 70 in 300 wsm. I have worked up a good load for it shooting 150 gr Hornady interbonds.

I used to use a sporterized Springfield 06 that my dad made for me when I was 2 years old back in 1965. It has taken at least 8 deer and 4 elk. I retired it for deer since I wanted something lighter. I went to a model 7 in 243 and have taken 4 whitetail with it. I am retiring the model 7 since it didn't wack em hard enough. I had one run 70 yards with a heart lung shot before it dropped. The 06 with a 150 gr sierra spitzer would pretty much drop them in their tracks even when I hit one in the leg. I ask my dad if I could have his Husqvarna 270 featherweight since his hunting days are over. I restocked it with a McMillan stock w/ a Leupold 3.5/10 and is ready to go. The rifle was purchased in Denmark back in 1958 when my grandfather traveled back there. The old man walked off the plane with it under his arm in the box. Shows you how times have changed. I haven't felt the need for a Mag yet, but I think this 270 will do everything I want it to do//

I purchased a new .25-'06 this spring, i think itll be a perfect whitetail caliber. Though i have killed most of my deer with a trusty old 30'06.

Good luck to everyone in the draw.

Jeff Falls

300wsm

Every year I tell myself I would like to get a new gun. I always wanted a 300 win mag. Then every year I don`t do anything about that situation. I guess '' if it ain`t broke, don`t fix it'' so I will keep using my trusty old .270. That was the first High powered rifle that I bought right after my wife and I got married in 1975. I really like that rifle and it has so many scratches on the stock that I really never worry about it. It shoots very accurate too! Coues Addict

Guest Ernesto C

My trusty and legendary 30-06,I love it. The proof? my trophys,all of them;for example last year the Lord blessed with mule deer,coues deer and antelope and shots from 70 up to 500 yds.

My back up gun? mi wifes 308,excellent big game medicine. ;)

The good news? That the Lord blessings are not for last year only or just for me. I can see you are blessed too.May the Lord bless all of you my fellow CWT.com members,take care.

Ernesto C.

I'm taking my Ruger #1 in .243 with a 3x9 Conquest. It's a tack driver. Loaded up some 95 gr ballistic silvertips. Let's have those draw results!

I have been looking at the site alot but have not spoke up until today. I will be using a Remington 700 30-06. with a leo 3X9. After 4 days of walking with it in 24A I took a monster buck with it in 1999 (about 11 inches) ;) but it was my first deer so I can only move up.

I have been thinking about getting a 7mm WSM or 7mm SAUM. Anyone shot both of these if so which did you like better?

Thanky you all for a great forum

Matt

BTW the web site for the draw says the results will be available on July 23 I'm going to mark my calender but not hold my breath

Edited by Mattule

my rem 700 25-06.

Mattule, the 06 will do you fine and ammo is easy to find with lots of choices if you don't reload. I quit using mine because I wanted to haul around something lighter. I looked into the 270wsm and the 7MMwsm magnum calibers and found this Browning I liked at 5lbs. 8oz. See: http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/f...035&type_id=038 . I decided against it because it was pricey, and I wasn't gaining all that much in performance. I may get it later if I start shooting at extreme distances at 500 yards+ since I will glass hunt this year. Remember this, the 06 has probably killed more animals than any other caliber.

I dont have a problem with my '06 and I am getting great groups out to 300 yds. with 168gr sierra HPBT pushed with IMR 4895 and I have not shot at 400 but I am sure it would be fine. I was just looking for some thing light weight.

I was thinking about a Savage 7mm WSM just because the new rifles have the accu trigger on it that was previously only available on the heavy barreled (coyote)rifles. The trigger is adjustable and the one I looked at was slick no creep at all plus the rifle is only 6.75 pounds so I can pack it easy. If I draw I hope to walk for a day set up camp then hunt from there so light is good.

That Browning and the Remington 700 titanium are both awsome but are also out of my price range. But thanks for the tip.

If we are dreaming how about a Tikka T3 in 30-06 or 300WSM! They won't leave the factory unless they shoot under 1 moa. Stainless w/rubber type inserts inthe composite stock. NICE!! From what I have read up to now are great things. Great weight, stock, excellent trigger(2-4lbs adustable) . Priced less than a Browning A-Bolt.

OH HOW I/WE DREAM OF STUFF WE DON'T NEED!!

HAHAHAHA

:ph34r:

I have been shooting a 300 win mag Rem 700 BDL for over 10 years now. First 5 were great! then I went dry for several years. Found out in the end the scope was not holding zero! Not even holding 5" at 100 yds when I finally trashed it and went with the Leupold 3-9x50. D a r n nice and Bright :ph34r: and I wish I had got it sooner.

Anyway the 300 win mag was the flattest shooter at 300 yds plus when I bought it, yet it has a fair variety of factory loads. Not every gun shop or sporting goods store carries the variety, but they usually have something. You have to reload or buy before you need them.

Lots of others to choose from now so do your research and pick the best for your needs.

Tikka is a very good gun from what I have seen. Shot a couple last year in Wyo whlle hunting lopes and they are hard to beat for the price. Might go with one of those when I tire of this remington, but for now, I am happy with it!

My .02 worth

Edited by az4life

For Coues deer I prefer my 22 caliber bolt action with a 2* Leupold scope. You can hardly feel the kick.

Guest Ernesto C

:ph34r: TREESTANDMAN if you are worry about the kick then you should try your pellet gun or your slign shot :P

Do we get a tag? :D