36Bjunkie

37A Perdator hunting???

Ok so im new to 37A and perdator hunting so be gental ... I was wondreing if someone on he might be able to point me in the right direction, where to go, what calls i should use??? any info would help !!!

Thanks

Larry

try anywhere really lots of coyotes even some lions and lots of bobcats good spot is ironwood forest also fox out there calls to use are the jackrabbit distress and cottontail disstress

x2 on jackrabbit or cottontail. Do you plan on using mouth calls or electronic???

/>Woodpecker distress call!

+1, this is a great call

Loads of yotes out there! Anywhere along Park Link Drive, find a road to drive down off of PLD and then walk in a ways, set up and start calling. Have fun and shoot a lot of 'em!

I was going to use electronic calls. Is there a specific type of terrain you guys look for ??im Originally From Southern California and we usually shoot coyotes in the farmers fields. I'm never had a chance to go after bobcat or Fox this is all new to me. I just picked up a new AR and needs to get some blood on it..

Again thanks for the help

Larry

First thing I do is worry about the sun. Find a spot where you're in the shadows.

Next thing I worry about is the wind. I prefer a crosswind rather than a head-on wind. The reason for this is that most wary predators try to circle downwind to get a whiff of what is making that awful noise.

The next thing in selecting a stand is elevation. I don't necessarily HAVE to be up high, but it helps to view lots of country. Just make sure you can see through to some good shooting lanes.

You should try to break your profile up by using some sort of backdrop- a bush, tree, side of a hill, etc.

As far as "knowing" the terrain has coyotes and other animals- I think it's pretty safe to say they're located everywhere you can possibly look for them.

Ok so im new to 37A and perdator hunting so be gental ... I was wondreing if someone on he might be able to point me in the right direction, where to go, what calls i should use??? any info would help !!!

Thanks

Larry

go out and explore and find an area for yourself. theres plenty of public ground, this is arizona. if you go where people tell you, chances are its been called to beat heck anyway. just trying to help you out man.

Try something new- target gray foxes. Few hunters target them on purpose. They are much more forgiving than coyotes and if taken in the colder months can be sold for upwards of $35 each at the ATA Fur Sale in Globe. Find mountains or hills and play any gray fox distress sound at full volume. Use a shotgun and sit about 15 yards from the caller. A shotgun doesn't require you to be such a good shot. Use $20/box duck or goose loads (get the cheap stuff as you'll be shooting a lot). Typically if there is 1 fox there are more, so continue calling even after shooting 1 or 2. If the road enables it, drive down the mountain range stopping ever 3-400 yards and repeat.

I have shot probably 75 in 37B in the last 5 years. The unit is full of them.

Image1-4.jpg

• Like 1

All fur meant for sale needs to be 'put up' appropriately so you make the money it is worth. It really does not take that much know-how or money to get your fur ready for sale. After you have skinned.fleshed, and stretched your pelt and it is dryyou give it a bath in borax and brush it so the fur looks clean and fluffy. If you are selling a bobcat pelt, AZG&F requires you purchase a CITES tag from one of their offices. They cost $3/pelt and starting this year to get one you need to submit the lower jaw if you trapped the bobcat but no jaw if you shot it. You get a nylon tag that goes on the pelt in an eye hole and that CITES tag stays with the pelt as it is sold across the United States from one person to the next.

Gray fox, coyote, or any other bur bearing mammal you need nothing but the pelt.

Also a little known law that comes in effect if you shoot a bobcat and want tot sell the pelt is a transportation tag. All called, trapped, or chased with hounds bobcats need a transportation tag (free from AZG&F) when they are killed. You just attach it to the pelt and when you go to get your CITES tag they pull it off and keep it for predator studies and such. If you don't have one they'll hassle you and in some cases make you fill one out.

I know that was kind of rambling but that gives you the basics.

All great advice.

Thanks for helping another member out guys.

If you want an absolute top of the line caller, contact Healy Arms. They are in Chandler but will sell online. Their calls are crystal clear and LOUD.