Sign in to follow this  
mc68

stratify hunts

NM has been "stratifying" hunts for years. If AZ does it, there won't be any 2 week hunts, they'll be one week long taking the current hunt and splitting the time in half, or less.

Bad idea all the way around.

I don't agree with the proposal. I think the hunt should remain 2 full weeks. You never know when the rut will peak and with that longer time frame you are much more likely to catch it during your hunt. I am pretty much opposed to any proposal that would decrease success to increase participation except in extreme cases.

A wait period is STRICTLY punitive, and does NOTHING to change draw odds. This has been covered before...

How could it be when you would have a couple thousand less people putting in?

There used to be a wait period and they did away with it. It did nothing to significantly change the draw odds. If you take 50 people out of an early rifle bull applicant pool that has 2500 people applying for it that is not going to change the odds much at all.

/>A wait period is STRICTLY punitive, and does NOTHING to change draw odds. This has been covered before...

Exactly. Run the odds of however many people put in for unit 1 early bull and tell me that 80 fewer people being able to apply for that hunt is going to change draw results significantly. That's just an example.

I can see where Tony is coming from with splitting tags from his earlier comment. I get his point. Playing the odds however, I feel that I would have a better chance of drawing. And..... sorry but IMO I don't think that a guy that waits 15 years to draw a bull tag needs to compete with archery cow hunters during the same hunt. There's time in September to split those hunts up. And yes I "get" that it's a persons choice to wait 15 years for a special tag and some folks call they're archery cow hunts a trophy hunt. IMO they should be split for different time periods. There's no reason to have them occur simultaneously.

• Like 1