Sign in to follow this  
measafrontier

Kaibab Jr. Doe Hunt

My son got drawn for his first big game hunt for 12A W in early Nov. - doe tag.

I've hunted turkey up there in early Fall and I've seen plenty of deer up on the plateau that time of year.

When do the deer start to move?

Is it all dependent on the snow?

If there is heavy snow what is best access to the area?

Thanks

Lots of does all year. I will beoup there in 12bw about oct 27. If we are still up there and you need help let me know. Would much rather help a youth get their first deer on the ground!

Such an AWESOME hunt! All three of my kids killed their first deer on that one! ;)

Jcubed said it; There will likely still be deer all over for that hunt. We have always focused on the middle elevations (Ponderosa/Oak). You should not have a problem getting into deer almost anywhere though!

http://www.coueswhitetail.com/forums/topic/35932-2012-junior-deer-hunt/http://www.coueswhitetail.com/forums/topic/35932-2012-junior-deer-hunt/

Have fun!

S.

We have hunted about 15 miles south of Jacob Lake off 67 and walk the edge of the trees and always see plenty of groups of doe's out in the meadows in the late afternoon and early morning. It does get pretty cold so bundle them up with gloves and thick socks and take lots of pictures. Both my son and daughter got a deer the first two days we were there.

Just make sure you don't shoot an Elk, they are in there too.

That was the first hunt a harvested a big game animal on! If you can throw a rock you'll likely hit a deer in that unit. Locate the meadows etc on your maps and just hike around. He will definitely get a shot at one! I can't think of a better "starter" hunt!

Make sure you post up some pics. That time of year will be a little chilly but beautiful!