Sign in to follow this  
stanley

2012 Junior Deer Hunt

It had been a couple of years, but my two youngest kids once again wanted to put in for the Kiabab Antlerless hunt. We put Nicky, Greta, and two of their friends in on one application and they were lucky enough to get drawn. A buddy's son from Tucson also got drawn, so we had 5 kids in our camp with tags. The hunt had some ups and downs, but overall was a blast! In addition to four dads with 5 hunters, I had two other great friends join just for the camping & fun! We ended-up with seven adults and nine kids in our camp. Awesome time!

Like I said, there were ups and downs! First the 'down': On opening morning I was walking in the dark around the front of my pick-up to start it and warm it up. I ended-up tripping over a tent stake, and did a header directly into the front-right wheel well of my pick-up! Got-up to wipe the snow/mud off of myself and found that my left arm wasn't working. :wacko: Hurt like @%$^%@!!!! Of course I stuck it out and hunted all weekend. Went to the M.D. last Monday, to discover I broke my left shoulder in several places plus 'separated it'! Looks like surgery may be in my near future...... I'll find-out early this week when the surgeon looks at the M.R.I. results. :mellow:

OK, now to the 'ups'! We had an amazing time on the Kiabab!!! A little sloppy weather on Friday, but that didn't keep us down! Saturday and Sunday were beautiful days! All five kids had their deer by Noon on day two, and we then spent the rest of the time just relaxing, cooking, laughing, etc..... LOTS OF FUN!!

Also, another factoid, there were five deer killed on this hunt and only five shots fired! All junior hunters made great 'one shot' kills on their deer! ;)

A few pics below!

S.

:)

PS: I know that some folks are not fond of this hunt, as they don't want any does/antlerless deer being killed (since it ultimately means less bucks). That being said, it is a GREAT opportunity for a youngster to have a fun hunt with lots of animals seen. We always love it, and I'm glad the kids got drawn.

Greta and Annie on opening morning! Looking at the way Greta is bundled-up, you would think it was -20 degrees!!!

IMG_2420.jpg

Nick and his deer. He shot it about 20 minutes into opening morning!

IMG_2425.jpg

Around Noon on opening day we came back to camp for some brunch/breakfast. This is the weather we dealt with on and off for most of the day!

IMG_2435.jpg

IMG_2446.jpg

Greta and Annie relaxing and having fun while breakfast was being cooked!

IMG_2439.jpg

Campfire time! Dutch-oven meals every night!!!

IMG_2452.jpg

My little sweetie and I with her deer! A little 'button buck' shot on the second morning.

IMG_2465.jpg

She's learning how to skin!

IMG_2466.jpg

All five kids and their trophys!

IMG_2484.jpg

I've been waiting for the pictures and stories of the hunt Stanley. Wow, 5 for 5 and it sounds like everyone had a great time on this jr hunt. Congratulations to all the kids and kudos to all the adults. You're a blessed man Stanley to have the opportunity to hunt with your kids and your kids are blessed to have such a great Dad that is willing to teach them the things in life that alot of kids never get to experience like hunting, fishing, camping and respecting the things god has blessed us with here on earth.

Them deer look really healthy hanging there. Going to be some good eating for sure.

I don't know how you managed to hang in there with your shoulder so busted up. It had to be very painfull. Only you could have made it sound like it was nothing. You're a good father and man my friend. Thanks for sharing Stan. :)

TJ

Awesome Stanley! Love seeing those girls enjoying the hunt! Congrats on all the success! I have long admired your commitment to youth hunting...

p.s. Also love seeing that snow... bring it on, I have a late east side hunt :D

I’m with you on this one. I think this a great opportunity for kids to get out and hunt somewhere with such high success. When I used to have that tag it was a blast going up there for it. I find it a shame that all the trophy hunters and AGFD have allowed the number of tags for the JR hunt up there to drop so much.

Congrats on the successful hunt!

Congrats to all the kids on their success and to the adults for the help on making it happen. Great pics.

Stanley that had to hurt a bit not sure how you were able to hang in there.

Congrats! Looks like they had a great time. Hope your shoulder heals quickly......

Thanks for all of the kind words, folks.

Yes, it was an awesome time! Even with the shoulder situation, I would do it again and again! Truth be told, I was actually able to 'milk' the shoulder injury all weekend long! I didn't gut, drag, skin, lift, or cut a deer all weekend! :D That's what great friends are for! Also, when it came time to pack-up and head home, I didn't lift or haul anything! Again, good friends and kids pulled my weight! ^_^ (At one point, one of my buddies said to someone "OK, did anyone actually see him fall???" :lol: ) The real bummer was that I wasn't able to break-out my guitar for the traditional picking/singing around the fire. Oh well, next time I suppose.....

TJ, the venison will be outstanding. The backstraps on those little yearlings are amazing! :)

Eileen, YES! Pray for more snow!!! ;) Good luck to you up there!

Next stop is a hunt in late Nov with my oldest son and friends (with a little scouting and quail hunting in between....)! Happy hunting all!

S.

:)

PS: Everyone should pack lots of Alieve in your hunting supplies! Didn't work magic, but took the edge off.....

Way to go Stan!! Congrats to all the young ones and their success. Great memories for sure.

Stanley, that is just a great experience for your kids! Thanks for posting the story and pictures. Congratulations to all the kids!

Great writeup/success for all the junior hunters involved.

Stan,

Great story and congrats to the kids and dads on what looked like a fun weekend !!! I hope you heal up quick !!

Great job brother !!!

Dude, no joke..... You're the toughest SOB on this site! I've separated my shoulder a couple hundred times (no joke) and rust is one of the worst pains around!

Good job on the deer! Thinking about having my little brother do that next year

Great story except the part about your shoulder! Way to stick it out and congrats to the young hunters!