Sign in to follow this  
Diamondbackaz

Burn area might be good

I was recently up on top of Rice Peak and also went through Charouleau Gap (unit 33 on North side of Ctalinas) which was burned real bad in the Aspen Fire. The area was seeded with oats and some wheat. The oats have done real well, but I don't know if deer will eat them, maybe Amanda can answer that. Some areas especially the west side of Oracle Ridge, the area is moonscape with the skeletons of oak trees. However, many of these trees roots survived and there are green shoots coming out at the bottom of the trees. Tried adding a picture but don't know how. This area might be good//

Road is open, you have to access it from 1997 right of way off of Lago Del Oro which is further north from the old way in. However this way in is in jeopardy too since it is only a ten year lease which is up in 2007. More info: http://www.tucsonroughriders.com/modules.p...=article&sid=26 and http://www.4x4wire.com/trail/report/az/charouleaugap02/ and http://www.wheelingarizona.com/index2.htm . The road is tough in some spots and a locker in the rear is recomended.

I hunted in the Gap back in the 80's and saw a lot of deer. I am sure with the new growth of grass after the fire it should turn into a prime area.

Arizona Griz.

Edited by Arizona Griz

Its been my experience that the grazers do best after a fire. Elk will thrive in areas that have burned, because the grass and forbes come back so well. Browsers (sp) seem to have a harder time, since the mahogany and bitter brush take longer to recover. I don't know about reseeding in grains for Coues; it might work.

Good luck to all in the draw!

does anyome know about the condition of riggs lake?? are they using the water for the fire, is the lake area damaged from the fire??

25-06, from what I heard, the helicopters emptied the lake. They were really hurting for water to fight the fires. I know they asked Graham County Coop if they could get some from them. But were turned down. I think that the city of Safford was letting them have some out of one of their wells. I also believe that they were getting water from Frye Mesa. So it is probably almost empty as well.

I tell you guys what. The huge fire in 22 is gonna be awesome in a couple years. If you're man enough to get into the area west of north peak and south of the east verde you'd be in for a good hunt. That is some tough country to get into and a place I've always wanted to go but never have yet........mainly cause I'm not man enough.

Josh

Always wanted to go in there, just bought 2 mules maybe try and ride in and check it out this winter...josh can't you come in from the 21 side and cross the river?