Sign in to follow this  
lefty

36a leftover for my son

hey all, my 12 year old son didn't get drawn so i got him a leftover for oct. 25th coues in 36a not our 1st choice leftover but we'll take it. never been there before and my work schedule won't allow time for scouting so going to wing it. i've checked out g&f website and found out what i could but would like some info from you guys.we are going to hunt the sierrita mtns. and am thinking about the south side of the mtn. off of batamote rd. has anyone hunted that side of the mtn.,what was your experience and is there a better place in the unit that might hold more deer? he will shoot anything, even a one-horned spike. thanks for any advice!

Hunt close, but still on legal land to the neighborhoods, good deer there, and good deer in the whole unit, sucks you can't scout, maybe get there a day early? You'll be competing with lots of people who live minutes from that unit. Good luck.

Hey if theres a nice Coues at 441 yards take it. Cause if you dont someone else will and will be legal to do so.

Haha, very true killacoues. I'm just speaking from the perspective of a person who lives very close to where people hunt and see many a year trying to drive thru my place and the quail and dove hunters who shoot towards the house. If its legal, I'm all for it. But respectful is where I was going with my post. Don't want to derail the mans topic. Good luck again lefty!

• Like 1

i have the hunt in november and have never seen the unit before. i got the last tag available of all the the leftovers from what i was told when i bought it. im just going to go down there and fun for the weekend, if i see deer its a bonus.

Hunt the south southeast facing slopes of the Cerro Colorado mountains in the mornings and check out the highest peaks in the Las Guijas Mountains in the evenings. I have killed in both locations and have always had better luck in the southern end of the unit.