Sign in to follow this  
kazpilot25

Unit 7 Muleys

Anybody else have this hunt? This will be my second time hunting it. In 2010 I got a small forky, but looking to take a larger one this year.

With so many tags, I'm sure I'm not alone on here.

I had it but I donated my tag after I got one in August. I know most of the guides hunt the northern part of the unit in the PJ stuff. Lower deer density out there but better bucks

Congrats on tagging out in August!

I'm actually planning to hunt up North in the PJ stuff. My experience is that the peaks area gets hit HARD, and feels like there's a hunter behind every tree. Not my cup of tea. I'm planning on being way up North and glassing. I've located a couple water sources not on topos, which will hopefully give me an advantage. We'll see.

"RED BLUFF" area!! ;)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that's WAY outside unit 7's boundaries.

"RED BLUFF" area!! ;)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that's WAY outside unit 7's boundaries.

Sorry! sorry!! Red Mountain area!...my bad! :rolleyes:

Ha. I forgive you. Thanks for the pointer, I'll look into it.

I stalked this guy for 2 hours before he gave me the slip in 7W this archery season. I could not get closer than 90 yds. These photos were from 153 yds. Well within rifle range.

DSC_0323_zps5162d5f4.jpg

DSC_0320_zps043e84a3.jpg

I have been back up there a few times since then, and not seen a whole lot of deer like there used to be. TONS of elk though, including a few bruisers last weekend. One was a 380+ bull easily. Biggest one I have seen in quite a few years up there. Lots of nice 310-340 6x6s too.

That's awesome Lance! He's a shooter for sure. I've also seen some very nice bulls in 7W. I'll be scouting a new area this weekend to see if I can spark something.

I used to have pretty good luck around the areas north of Red Lake on the western border of 7W. Seen some monsters in there, but few and far between. That was in the past, but it was consistent in the past. It really seems like the deer population has dropped significantly in the last 10 years in the unit. I will be heading up periodically this fall, and will post more photos if I se any more shooter bucks in the unit.

I went up and did some more scouting over the weekend, and helped out on a random youth hunt.

Couldn't find anything for deer except 1 doe, but again we saw plenty of elk (1 very nice bull) and a ton of antelope. It was a great experience. Now just hoping to locate some bucks. Hmm...

i have a friend who killed,they saw a lot of bucks you might want to change areas.good luck to you.

I have been back up there a few times since then, and not seen a whole lot of deer like there used to be. TONS of elk though, including a few bruisers last weekend. One was a 380+ bull easily. Biggest one I have seen in quite a few years up there. Lots of nice 310-340 6x6s too.

looks like a buck i watched all summer by the blow down.then a big ,big camp of hunters camped right where he bedded then he moved

Seldom Drawn

Went back up yesterday for the day. Amazing how elk hunters can push the elk up into the deep timber, and allow the deer to come out.

I did not see a single elk except one in a camp at first light....still had the skin on....and not gutted.....laying on the ground.....stiff as a board....starting to swell.......yeah.

I got a few photos, but they are on the camera at home. Nothing big, but quite a few deer. More in one morning than in the last 3 trips combined. Good sign.

That's a great sign! With only about a week left until the hunt, I'm hoping to be able to get up to scout a bit this weekend. Also, the weather is shaping up to be perfect for the hunt.

post-5901-0-71685600-1382636088_thumb.png