TREESTANDMAN

Need advice on handguns

I'm wanting to buy an inexpensive good quality hand gun for target practice and just a side arm to have w/ me while scouting etc. I'm looking for something larger than a 22. I want a gun w/ a comforatable grip. I have no knowledge of handguns. Any suggestions?

Treestandman

I am by no means an expert in this area, but I do like to shoot handguns. I am totally ''Old School''. I like revolvers because they are simple and relatively easy to use. I have a .357 magnum, and it is kinda cool because you can also shoot .38 caliber shells as well as .357 mag. Usually you can find a decent used revolver at a gun shop or a gun show. Also .38 caliber ammo is very common and relatively inexpensive so you get a lotta'' bang for your buck.'' I hope this helps, but I think GMM is the '' Man'' when it comes to handguns so you really need to get his input. Good Luck Coues Addict

Edited by coues addict

I would recomend you get a revolver. For a starter handgun they are a bit safer and easy to shoot. I am a hand gun nut . I would say your best bet would be the 357. Like said above you can shoot the 38 round through it for target shooting and the 357 for hunting . If you want let me know and I can let you see the ones I have Or I can run down to the sportsman or bear mountain with you and look at some . If you buy a handgun at caswells you also get range time in the purchase. This time of year that can help.

You say no 22. but you can get a nice ruger that you can shoot the 22long rifle and 22 mags. A 22 mag has just as much velocity as a 38 It just lacks in the knock down power. But for a side arm they are light to pack and great to shoot. I know a couple black bear and lions that have been killed with a 22 mag hand gun.

If you are looking for a revolver to carry as a sidearm, .357 mag is perfect. Like everyone said, it has the most bang for your buck. I shot a .357 mag for a while, it is the most versitle gun out there. I have a ruger blackhawk convertable that I can shoot 9mm through it too.

If you are looking for a new handgun, I recommend spending the extra money and buy one you feel comfortable with. Also look at warranties from different manufacturers, I know the big names have a lifetime warranty (ruger, s&w, taurus, colt) This is very important, especially if you shoot a lot. I have a friend that shoots a ruger blakhawk 44 mag. He burned out the barrel in it (he shoots a lot) so he sent it in. Two weeks later, it came back, brand new barrel on it, and cleaned and serviced. All it cost him was shipping.

Remember, buying a gun is an investment, and you need to look at what is best suited for you and your uses for it. For a backup, or something to carry for protection, a .357 is perfect. It isnt very heavy, and ammo doesnt cost much, compaired to other hand cannons out there. (I know from experience) It also has pretty good range and knockdown power.

Hope this helps

GMM

One more thing I forgot to say is that a revolver will handel the dust and dirt in the outdoors better than the autos.

I have been through a bunch of handguns and like the esteemed gentlemen from above suggest, a .357 in a wheelgun frame is pretty hard to beat unless you are a cop or are going to war or something. The .38 special loads are almost a pleasure to shoot and I am almost 100% confident that a person can not break a single action revolver unless a tragic accident occurs or they are blatantly trying to break it. I have had a Ruger Blackhawk for years that has spent all of its time bouncing around under the seat in my truck (in a holster of course) or been crammed in my backpack being hauled up and down the countryside around here and it has even been submerged a few times on fishing/duckhunting trips on the Gila and Salt and it still shoots like the day I bought it. I really don't see how you can go wrong with one. Anyways, good luck with whatever you decide...

Seacrest Out

Bret M.

TREESTANDMAN, I AM NO EXPERT IN HANDGUNS ,BUT I KNOW WHAT WORKS. I PREFER A REVOLVER BECAUSE THEY DONT JAM,AND I TOO AM OLD SCHOOL ,LIKE COUSE ADDICT . AND LIVING HERE IN THE SOUTHWEST, NOTHING BEATS THE .357 MAG. THE VELOCITY IS PERFECT FOR HANDGUN HUNTING AND PERTECTION.... PS... NOTHING LIKE A GOOD SIDE ARM THAT FEELS COMFORTABLE.

Thank you for all of your valuable input. I think it is unanimous that the .357 mag revolver is the prefered handgun for my purposes. Which brands have the best quality/warranties etc? AZ Guide I may take you up on that offer.

Looking back at your post, "inexpensive, good quality" I don't know if there is such a thing. I would suggest Ruger or Taurus. Since you want to do targets, I would go with a 6" barrel.

Guest Ernesto C

I own a 357 Mag. Smith and Wesson High Way Patrolman with a blue 6 inch barrel and I love it. I use it for target practice and for predator hunting too,very accurate hand gun.

One of my brothers has a 357 Rugger stainless steel;I personally like the Smit and Wesson better because it fits in my hand perfectly,a lot better that the Rugger.

When hunting the S.&W. becames a part of my hand several coyotes and javelinas had bite the dust with this gun.

Yes is a good idea to make and narrow your choice,is going to be for hunting,target or home protection?

My brother Tony is selling his revolver is a Colt long barrel 22 Magnum,I'm not sure if he can shoot the 22 long rifle too but is a nice hand gun to carry while hunting or for target practice. I tryied to call him this morning but he's working long hours I did not get a hold of him but if I'm not mistaken I think he's asking $200.00dlls. for it.

Good luck on your search and God bless you.

Ernesto C.

The first 357 I shot was a Colt Python. smooth trigger and grouped well with manageable recoil. Thought I'd always want to get one. I found (and succumbed to) a S&W model 686(stainless) in 357 with 4" barrel about a year ago used in the local gun shop. I shoots and balances well. The Hogue grips with finger grooves fit my hand well. I like it better than my Ruger SuperBlackhawk in 44mag. Practicing with 38 specials are much more pleasant than using the 357 magnum loads. A 6" barrel would work well also. The 686 is my recommendation.

Like Red Rabbit, said the S&W 686 (stainless) 357 is what I would recommend.I bought mine used but like new from a freind for 400 dollors. I would also recommend a BIANCHI leather holster to keep it in.

The smith is a fine handgun but it is pricey, see http://www.swfirearms.vista.com/store/inde...&sw_activeTab=1 . The Taurus is $200.00 cheaper, see

http://www.taurususa.com/products/product-...tegory=Revolver . The Taurus is a quality firearm and is based on the smith design. I personally prefer nylon holsters as leather tends to atract moisture. I believe Taurus is the best choice for inexpensive quality.