TREESTANDMAN

Need advice on handguns

Treestandman

Did you go get your hand gun yet. If you did fill us in on what you got. If you are still looking let me know and we will go look at some.

I was drawn for a december coues hunt so I will be buying a rifle instead. I just don't think my 30-30 will do the job on this hunt.

Guest Lark Hubbard

i've packed pistols my whole life. always had one in my chaps, or under the seat or somewhere. best pistol made is a .22 semi auto. buy a ruger. 4 or 6" barrel, fixed sights. blued. cheapest one you can find. great dependable little guns. fun to plink with, real accurate, and will stop anything there is in the southwest in it's tracks if you learn how to use it. ammo is cheap. doesn't hurt your ears. they don't weigh a ton. i've had just about every caliber in every type of gun made. single and double action revolvers, single and double action autos. from a .22 to .44 mags. right now i have a model 59 smith 9mm, an old colt .22 single action that my dad gave me, a stainless .357 double action (just for bear repellent on black river) a .45 single action vaquero, and my old ruger. i've shot more with it than all the rest combined. it shoots dirty, it shoots accurate, i can find enough shells rolling around in the floor of my pickup to fill clip. and you will shoot it. revolvers kill your ears. unless it's a .22. auto centerfires are heavy and thick. if you're gonna hunt big game, then you need a big centerfire. if you want a pistol that you'll use and have a bunch of fun with, get a .22 auto. and the ruger is as good as any of em.

Lark

I am like you I have 4 22 hand guns I have them in revolver and auto. The auto is the ruger mark II looks like the german luger. You just look at your target bring that thing to aim and pull the triger. It is like pointing your finger and shooting . My revolvers will change out and shoot the mags also.

I have plenty of bear pistols also, But like you say they are much harder on you than the 22. Practice with a hand gun is an overall must And if you hate to shoot the gun you will not be good with it.

The price of a 22 is much better too.

I am kind of fawn of the rugers I've a number of them and love them. The gp100 is a sweet double action and the blackhawk is a sweet single action. I like the 6" barrel for hunting and the 4" for protection but either one is a good shooting gun.

I carry a handgun just about every day and my favorite for carrying and general use is Smith Model 66. It's a little lighter than the 686 and mine is extremely accurate even though the barrel is only 4 inches. For years, I carried a 6-inch Model 19 Smith that had been accurized and never minded the extra barrel length until I went to work on a big ranch where I am either in a pickup or on a horse. Now the extra two inches is a pain in the rear.

I have also carried semi-autos and still do if I am carrying primarily for defensive purposes. My old reliable is a 1911-style semi-custom made years ago by Michigan Arms, although I also carry a Colt Officers ACP when I want better concealment.

Another favorite is a Browning Hi-Power in .40 S&W. I have used it to finish off a couple of antelope that were hit by cars and to admnister last rites to mule deer that my hunters had not quite put down and out. It is light and handy and accurate, and goes bang when you pull the trigger even after bathing in the dust that accumulates after a day in an open jeep or on the back of a horse working cattle.

I have nothing against the Taurus line--it's just that every offering imitates either an S&W or a Colt and they don't look quite right...

I would advise you to invest in the best handgun that you can afford. If you take care of them, they don't lose much of their value over the years and my experience with the cheaper lines has not been as good as with S&W, Colt and Browning. Invest in good leather, as well. I have had some of the nylon and plastic holsters come apart after only a few months of hard use, although the synthetics by the really good makers are probably as durable as anything (and usually cost about the same as leather anyway).

I have 2 357 mags, both Smith and Wesson, one a nikel plated 4in revolver and the other is a black 6 inch, very accurate. Ive hunted with them a whole lot, and couldnt be happier,

glock puts out a fine pistol I saw a hunting video where the guy used a 10mm for deer . verry reliable only you have to use strict clearing dicipline and visualy check twice that the magazine is out and the chamber is clear before cleaning or disasembly

Edited by newbee

Dan Wesson Model 15 End of story. I ahve a variety of handguns. The most versatile weapon I have ever owned.

1. Can use barrel from 2"to 10" and they are readily available for cheap.

2. Double Action. Less to think about and you can always use it like a single action.

3. As previously mentioned common and multiple ammo at good cost.

4. The most accurate and affordable weapon you can buy in my opinion.

to sum it up.

easy to carry, extremely accurate, convertable, cheap

gunbroker.com is a good place to scout prices

If you want new and affordable Ruger is my choice. I would then go .41 mag and learn to use it so you can join us fo rthe HAM hunt in Jan.

Edited by gnoto

Last night I broke down and bought a .357 ruger revolver. After my lion experience I was able to get my wifes permission to buy a handgun. I also have a picture of me with two rocks in my hand and the lion in the background on the other side of the pond. The picture was taken by my trail camera which I had set right before the lion encounter. I sure wish I would have had that .357 when it happened!!

I wouldn't mind seeing a picture of both your handgun and for sure the lion. So get with ith it and share with us.

TREESTANDMAN Post the picture with the lion and rocks in your hand.

25-06, First of all I have no scanner nor access to one or I would post it and many other pictures. Secondly, The lion is so far away in the picture that you have to use a magnifying glass to see it well. You can tell it is a lion w/out one but it is not real clear. The only other reason I cannot mail it into Amanda is that this spot was shown to me by a friend w/ an oath to keep it confidential.

Treestandman

You are right I did not even think about it showing your location. I am sure we will see them somtime. Thanks for the story . Now you need to get a couple of speed loaders for you 357 and you should be set for the kill.

TREESTANDMAN, I would not want the world to see my favorite spot either. I totaly understand. Happy Hunting