Sign in to follow this  
macknnc

An question about procedure...

If you are hunting for the sport of it then only in the air. If you are hunting to eat them, then any good shot. I have never hunted behind dogs, so on the ground running is fine for me.

post-8184-0-41231300-1383016412_thumb.jpg

The Snaro point gives you the ability to shoot one in the air

My first thoughts are that we are all different and we all hunt for different reasons and enjoy the outdoors for different reasons. Some of the most enjoyable days I can remember as a 7-year-old back in 1957 is sneaking around the desert with a single shot .410 and the thrill of bringing in a quail or two that I had shot on the ground to show my dad. At 7 years old I hadn't learned to hit them in the air yet - those are great memories. Age has changed my perspective so that anymore it's not the number of birds to bring home, though the thrill is still there to just be on the desert hunting desert quail. It's fine to "pardon" some and let them go their way. So whether you shoot them only in the air or on the ground as well, it goes beyond the kill, to just appreciating the bird and the habitat it calls home.

• Like 1

When I first moved to Arizona, hunting quail was my first experience here. I remember one of the long-time AZ residents showing us the ropes "sluicing" one or two on the ground. After he picked them up, he said - "Dang! I sure hate shooting them running... but if they won't sit still, I guess I got not choice!"

I still laugh at that one, and since I was shown the ropes by an old school AZ quail hunter, I have no problem shooting them off the ground - unless they run behind a cactus before I get the shot off. :)