Sign in to follow this  
AZLance

Dead bears

So I was out hiking and found this dead bear. At first I thought maybe it had died from a fight with another bear... But this is the second dead bear I have found in this area. The first bear I found dead was a few months ago, a little under a mile away from this one. Same thing as this one, no visible wound or gunshot hole. Both bears were found close to different springs. So I started thinking... I have been hunting for over 20 years and never found a dead bear and now 2 of them in a few months close to each other. Maybe they were killed by another big boar, or maybe they drank some tainted water from a mine shaft nearby, or maybe someone is poisoning them? I would guess both bears were in the 3 to 4 year old range around 200 pounds. I also believe I have this same bear on trail camera a couple of months ago about 3 miles away and he looked healthy.

Anyone else ever find anything like this? Or have any ideas?

post-565-0-02998600-1383531059_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Dang!!! Definitely need to report them. Do you have any big boars on camera? Any fight wounds? That's crazy...

Dang!!! Definitely need to report them. Do you have any big boars on camera? Any fight wounds? That's crazy...

Lots of bears in the area... Maybe 20+ bears on camera. No visible wounds, but I didn't get real close because it stunk so bad.

+1 on contacting G&F. If someone is poaching them or poisoning them it needs to be looked into, IMO.

Be interesting to know if they were male or female. If they were near springs could be the possibility of a large Tom sitting water.

Game and fish came and looked at the first one, but couldn't determine cause of death. He did say that is was a 3 year old boar.

My other question is there is a ton of fresh bear sign all around, why are they not feeding on these carcasses? I know they do that, because they ate half of my bear I killed in there 2 years ago.

From research I have read, larger boars typically kill juveniles infringing into their home territories, particularly when food is scarce and they generally will feed upon their kill. The two dead boars are likely older juveniles or sub-adults, but in either case, their size would indicate that they would not be naïve about sticking around in an area with a mature boar. Interestingly, they had no fight wounds, which they definitely would have collected if surprised by a larger boar, due to their own size and survival instinct. In addition, this has definitely not been a fall with food scarcity for bears. Moreover, poachers likely would have taken "marketable" parts of the bears, which did not occur. Thus, I personally feel that someone is deliberately poisoning a watering hole or laying out poisoned meat in an attempt to reduce predators in the area.

We each feel passionate about conserving our favorite game species, and because bear is my species of choice, I am absolutely appalled at the wanton and needless waste of the bears you discovered. I don't buy the larger boar argument, and invite G&F to prove otherwise with an autopsy of the body and an investigation of the crime scene. The perpetrators need to be strung up, in a court of law, of course.

However, it is possible that chemicals from an old mine are leaking into and contaminating a water source. But, if that was the case, there would be all kinds of dead animals in the area, not just two opportunistic carnivores. If poisoned meat was hung high enough off the ground, coyotes and foxes could not get to it, hence no dead coyotes in the area. It is worth an investigation.

Wow, that is very sad. With no fight wounds, poisoning may actually be the cause. Maybe someone is trying to poison the lions in the area and the bears are taking a hit too?

That bear pic you posted seems to show a pretty healthy animal. Doesn't look like he starved to death, which a sick or wounded bear might do. Of course it's hard to tell just from a pic, but he looks healthy, albeit dead. Very very sad. I hope you figure out the cause.

what area is this in? i am going to my first bear hunt and i want to make sure to stay away from the area if i can?

hope no one is just killing them, then leaving them. that is just not right

If you want the G&F to get on this one, let them know that pictures of the jaguar have been captured nearby and that it would be a travesty if it too ended up as a wasted carcass because nothing was done to investigate the area.

• Like 2