Sign in to follow this  
AZLance

Dead bears

I too just found a smaller dead bear... it was completely decomposed but had been fed on by something... it was in a creek bottom and right next to an old 2 track we were driving down... strange....

Really seems like it might be a poisoning issue. Hopefully the GFD is running some tissue tests on this more recent find ... sure looks like they could get plenty of forensic evidence.

If it is poison, I really hope the perp is caught ... poisoning is a horrible and painful way to die.

Ok, just heard back from Game and Fish. The second dead bear had almost no teeth left, and had almost no fat on it. He believes it died of old age. But to be safe, he took tissue and hair samples. He also took some water samples from the spring nearby.

So as most of you know, I usually don't have the best things to say about G&F, but the G&F officer, Matt Braun went out of his way to look into these dead bears, and get back with me. Hats off to him!

• Like 3

Ok, just heard back from Game and Fish. The second dead bear had almost no teeth left, and had almost no fat on it. He believes it died of old age. But to be safe, he took tissue and hair samples. He also took some water samples from the spring nearby. So as most of you know, I usually don't have the best things to say about G&F, but the G&F officer, Matt Braun went out of his way to look into these dead bears, and get back with me. Hats off to him!

Glad to hear AGFD took care of your concerns. Great job Matt and thanks to Lance for reporting it!

• Like 1