Sign in to follow this  
Falkners

question on clothing on a late elk hunt ?

I have the dec late bull hunt for the first time and was wondering what you guys have found success with keeping warn with and and being able to shed layers as the day warms up any recommendations wound be much appreciated thank you :)

Last year I didnt even need a heavy coat just base layer and light jacket and was getting sunburnt. Not sure what area you are hunting but the Munds Park area (6A) forecast is for 20s in the am with 50 mid day with no real forcast for any weather. I picked up some thicker pants from under armor and those worked perfect with no base layer. I usally have for my top a thermal, light jacket then a light/ heavy coat depending on the weather and strip down when needed. GL, im not even hunting just helping out and I can't wait to eat some turkey on Turkey Day and run up north.

Depending on how much you will be moving, I like to use a good quality Merino wool base layer with a thick fleece top and warm pants over that. If I am going to be sitting a while, I may stick the fleece in my pack and put on my Arctic Shield stuff to stay warm in the mornings.. Of course this is all dependent on weather conditions and activity levels

I would keep an eye out on the short term forecast as it gets close and adjust your clothing accordingly. I personally don't like to have a lot of heavy warm clothes even when the temps are on the colder side. Some people do though. A good jacket, some under armour type material along with your camo..... some matches to start a fire would be good to have too invade you get chilled.

DO NOT WEAR A TSHIRT...100% COTTON AS A BASE LAYER,or any layer...Even if its warm out...next thing,super comfy broken in boots and high quality hiking socks....good luck

Under armor base layer, t

Wool or cotton socks depending on your boots.

I wear cotton as my boots are 800 this ullage and warm.

Then I like coveralls and a sweatshirt.

Then a jacket if needed.

Keep in mind if you are glassing more clothes.

If you are walking much less and rarely a heavy jacket.

But when you stop you can get cold,

Key is never to break a sweat.

I grew up in NY where we used wool like crazy... but out here- I have really only used my Russell L1 Alpine base layers and the L1 Reflector top and bottom. If I need heavier stuff I go to my military poly-pro's. I like to keep the bulk off and go as lightweight as possible.