Sign in to follow this  
SwarovskiCoues

Lion Questions

i have been wanting to kill a lion for years now and have only seen one which was pure luck!! is there any way to almost find out where a lion will be hanging around? does lion pee actually work? is there anyway to attract a lion legally? i cant varmit call for squat so thats not an option. im really wanting to set up some cameras for the next coming archery deer hunt an see if i can find a good spot that a lion lives in. any response helps!!!

Start calling. You will get better with practice. Call where the deer hang out andl eventually you will call a lion or two.

Look for lion scratches along trails and canyon bottoms. I went years without even knowing that there was such a thing. I befriended a person that hunts lions with dogs and he taught me a lot. Lion scratches are the most abundant lion sign there is. I don't have any pictures to show you but maybe somebody else on here does and would be willing to show it.

Look for lion scratches along trails and canyon bottoms. I went years without even knowing that there was such a thing. I befriended a person that hunts lions with dogs and he taught me a lot. Lion scratches are the most abundant lion sign there is. I don't have any pictures to show you but maybe somebody else on here does and would be willing to show it.

interesting !!! have you started seeing more after finding this out?

Absolutely. They are the equivalent to a deers scrape during the rut. A tom will stretch his two front paws out and drag dirt/leaves towards himself and make a little mound, and then spray it with urine. Its his way of marking his territory.

a scratch is made where a kill is near the area and warns other lions

Warns em of what? That there mite be some food laying around for eatin.

Maybe that explanes why they move and bury there kills between feedin on them ;)

Heck I may never know. :wacko:

Lol. Good stuff here.

My opinion- Lions are very hard to pattern to the extent of knowing where they will be to shoot without dogs. Some females have a pretty tight area they hang out in but would still be tough. Lots of calling in an area where you get pictures might be best bet.

Fact- lions scratch to mark territory. Nothing to do with kills

• Like 3

Check for scat and scratches in the saddles of high ridges. If you look closely, you sometimes also can find some hair in the bark of trees where they've rubbed themselves.

Bill Quimby

• Like 1