bowsniper

Randy Ulmer Hunting Accident?

Six years ago John McClendon personally told me about how he scouted with a paraplane. I really didn't think much of it at the time. Does this make John McClendon any less of a great hunter and guide? Some people are always going to think that the new steps in technology are unfair or unethical. Camed bows with 80% let off, laser rangefinders, rifles that shoot accurately to over 1000 yards, quads, PF Flyers, the list goes on and on. As long as they are legal, they eventually become accepted. I personally hate quads. I will say that, as a private pilot, that using a paraplane over remote mountainous terrain is way too risky for me. Anyway, to me, this certainly does not diminish Randy Ulmer, he's just using the next legal gadget in a long line. Most of you are just a step or two behind him. At least Randy gets out there and finds his own animals, unlike some pro hunters who hire a dozen guys to find the trophy, and then just show up for the kill.

Mark

If you are happy with the way you hunt and it is legal who cares what anyone else thinks, when you show people what you did there is always going to be criticism, and if it is a monster there is going to be a ton of it, and with that there is going to be jealousy. I am not saying that people on here are jealous, but over the years it is ingrained in us that if it is the best or some sort of record someone must be cheating some certainly are and a lot aren't only the person that does it and God know the truth the rest of us just speculate. You can go out and buy every gadget and piece of high tech equipment out there to help you hunt, but in the end if you are just doing it to impress people and not really getting any enjoyment out of it why do it, hunting should make people happy and if it doesn't you are not doing something right and I don't mean killing anything, just hunting and having fun. Get outdoors and enjoy, Good Luck and God Bless.

Wow.............All I can say is there is a bunch of people on here that have alot of time on there hands....Who gives a rats butt how people are huntin. Just as long as they are huntin :) It is a sad thing when ALL of us hunters get into debate about what we LOVE to do...........Terry :) P.S. Were in the heck is Lark when you need him.

Wow.............All I can say is there is a bunch of people on here that have alot of time on there hands....Who gives a rats butt how people are huntin. Just as long as they are huntin :) It is a sad thing when ALL of us hunters get into debate about what we LOVE to do...........Terry :) P.S. Were in the heck is Lark when you need him.

Well said :D

Well... I believe a trophy is only worth the effort you put into acquiring it, with that being said I'm going to go buy me a plane! :P

The last big mule deer Randy Ulmer took, as I recall from the article I read he spent days sitting under a tree waiting for a shot, Locating a Animal is one thing, putting it all together is entirely different. Just because you locate a trophy animal doesn't mean you be able to make the kill. B)

The last big mule deer Randy Ulmer took, as I recall from the article I read he spent days sitting under a tree waiting for a shot, Locating a Animal is one thing, putting it all together is entirely different. Just because you locate a trophy animal doesn't mean you be able to make the kill. B)

That's a fact!........oops....i'll go back into my hole now :ph34r: Jorge G.

any new technology that comes out to help someone kill a trophy will be used by someone. as far as ethics go everyone has a different set of em'. only thing i would like to see tho is that if someone has killed a big trophy, if they used something uncommon to most like a chuteplane that it be disclosed. because its part of the story and should be told. i've seen people using cams with before and after pics and are tickled pink to tell there story.

any new technology that comes out to help someone kill a trophy will be used by someone. as far as ethics go everyone has a different set of em'. only thing i would like to see tho is that if someone has killed a big trophy, if they used something uncommon to most like a chuteplane that it be disclosed. because its part of the story and should be told. i've seen people using cams with before and after pics and are tickled pink to tell there story.

I agree! Don't hide the fact.

As someone else has said, it's the pressure to produce for these professonal hunters and outfitters.

To each his own.

Locating a Animal is one thing, putting it all together is entirely different. Just because you locate a trophy animal doesn't mean you be able to make the kill. B)

This is true, however, isn't that the same for all of us? Just because you locate any deer doesn't mean it's going to be wearing your tag. But, the more deer you locate, the more opportunities you have to use you skills to fill your tag. Same goes for spotting trophies from the air. The more trophies you spot, the greater your chance at tagging a trophy.

I hope I didn't come off too strong in earlier posts, but I just got back from an elk hunt that I busted my rear for over the past 4 months scouting. Climbing up mountians, down canyons, and putting many miles on my boots and hours behind binos every day I scouted. Severely sprained my ankle scouting 5 days before the hunt while scouting, and hunted through it. Got my boy a shot at a very nice 6x6 on day 1 (deflected off a branch), had him pass on a shot on a small 6x6 on day 2 at 320 yards, and he finally collected a spike on day 3. He's pleased as punch about it, and I consider it a tremendous trophy considering the effort I put into the hunt. The feeling of satisfaction is incredible. I'd rather my boy (or me) bag that spike, and I'll feel a lot better about it than if we had used unethical means or took the easy way out and bagged a 6x6. That spike might not give me the same bragging rights some monster bull collected via chute plane scouting would, but I feel much more satisfied with the effort put into it. Maybe I'm backwards, but the satisfaction for me is in the effort expended during the hunt and hunt preparation, not about the size of the rack on the wall. But, then again, I don't do it for a living either...

I've been following this thread, trying very hard to keep from jumping in. I can't stand it any more.

First, ethics have been mentioned a lot. The definition I've given to the word as it pertains to hunting is this: "Ethics are the standards acceptable to the majority of hunters in a particular region."

Judging by the thread, the majority of hunters on this forum do not accept using paraplanes for scouting. If this also is true of the majority of hunters in this region, then it is unethical no matter how legal it might be .... and that puzzles me a bunch. I've only been around one of those things once. It was so noisy I suspect it would chase any self-respecting deer so far out of an area that it would be six months before anyone saw it again.

There also has been some talk about costs. I don't know how much it costs to rent a helicopter with a pilot these days, but I suppose a couple of hours' flying time would be less than buying a paraplane, a lot less risky, and a heck of a lot more effective.

How do those of you who defend scouting from paraplanes feel about scouting from helicopters?

In the 1960s, a well-known Arizona sheep hunting outfitter used a SuperCub to scout for sheep. He spent hours flying dangerously low levels over every ridge and mountaintop in the unit he'd be guiding in. He chased a lot of sheep out of his area, of course, but his customers always took good rams. I doubt if he told many of his clients what he did. How do you feel about that?

My $0.02 worth is this: If someone wants to use a paraplane or a helicopter or a SuperCub to scout, so what? As long as it doesn't affect my own hunt, I don't care how he uses his tag.

As for heroes with feet of clay, I'm sorry but my heroes are not the guys who put the most entries in record books, and it doesn’t matter whether they use a rifle, bow, spear, catapult, sling shot or poisoned darts.

Bill Quimby :D

Great words Mr. Quimby, I also wish this thread was dead.....Can't beat a dead horse now can ya :blink:

TAM, Treestandman,

Thanks TAM for "enjoying and respecting my thoughts". I appreciate that.

Nope I can't back up the statement. Just another opinion - based on other people's opinions. I thought Bobbyo laid it out pretty good on page 6 of this string in describing the recent kills of certain people. This looks suspicious - at least to me. I have also had conversations with people in touch with deer population dynamics about this sort of thing and their opinions aren't unlike mine.

There have been court cases, bannings from Indian reservations, and a heck of a lot of monster bucks showing up in magazines (please notice that I am not mentioning any names). I also know that the biggest of bucks are at the smallest point on a population pyramid - there ain't that many of them. We are the deer hunters. We know that.

But, can I show you any numbers, and qualify my statement. Nope.

I also feel bad about ruffling anybody's feathers by describing a group of people as "selfish". I had to look clean around the 2 x 4 in my eye to see the wood in theirs. I like to kill big bucks too.

Thanks for keeping me honest,

Mike

I heard Billy Bob was up on a high point glassing big bucks from 2 miles away............thats so unethical.

Lets bash him awhile, give Randy a rest.