bowsniper

Randy Ulmer Hunting Accident?

I think you may be right DesertBull, makes me kinda scared to put that battery in the electronic caller, I may call in a P&Y coyote and never be able to claim the fame :lol:

I think you may be right DesertBull, makes me kinda scared to put that battery in the electronic caller, I may call in a P&Y coyote and never be able to claim the fame :lol:

They dont put you on the cover of many magazines or make much money on P&Y coyotes.

If I had the money I would purchase a paraglider, but not a paraplane. Floating around would be

fun. Just to get away from everyone, as long as you dont use it during or 48 hrs before a hunt.

Funny reading people complain about things they dont like or cant afford. People complain about the use of compound bows, electronic callers, binoculars, trailcams, atv's............................

The list goes on. Has Randy Ulmer ever been under fire for illegal actions? As high a profile hunter as him, probably nobody pays much attention to him, huh?

If you dont like or agree with flying...........dont do it. I figured that out all by myself.

If I had the money, I'd have a paraglider. Like muley said, it would be fun.

Why is it that nobody complains about the way things work in Alaska? After all there rules are even less strict than Arizona. Just mention a chute plane and hunting in the same breath in the southwest and you are a dirty, no good, poaching, scum bag!!!

In Alaska I believe the law is that you can't hunt within 24 hours of flying. In Alaska it's regular practice by the outfiters and bush pilots to fly out and find the migrating caribou herds from the air then drop the hunters off in the path of the herds. The hunters will wait the 24 hours then go hunt.

In Arizona you can't scout from the air with in 48 hours of the hunt or at any time during the hunt. Seems like Arizona has a more strict law than Alaska where scouting from the air is common practice and widely accepted.

Why do people make such a stink about chute planes in Arizona, but it's no big deal to scout from the air in Alaska?

From what I heard this was the 1st time Randy had used a chute plane to scout. Him and Greg Krogh are two of the best bow hunters of all time......there history has proved it. I hope like heck this accident didn't hurt Randy to bad and he's back by February.

If you want a chute plane and an afford it.....get one and use it. I know I can't afford one.....would I like one? You bet. Would I use it? You bet.

Back in the day everyone used open site rifles....then came rifle scopes. Back in the day no one had binoculars or a spotting scope......now everyone has them. Should we outlaw all these? NO.

The best hunters of all time were probably the indians. What methods did they use? A wood bow and a wood stick with a rock tip. Were they hunting for trophies? NO. Did they kill stuff? Yes. They didn't have a bow that shoots some 3XX ft per second. We have technologies nowadays that our ancestors didn't have. Should we use them? YES.

As long as your within the law.....it just comes down to how you feel when kneel and pray and you lay your head on your pillow.

RANDY BEST OF LUCK! HOPE YOU GET BETTER FAST. I'D LOVE TO SEE YOU AND GREG STICK SOME MONSTER AZ COUES!!!! Your ones from Mexico were AWESOME!!!! Your historical track record has proved you guys are some of the best archery hunters to ever live.

Scott

Chute planes CAN NOT fly around at 5mph! Most fly at speeds of 20-25 mph.

From what I heard this was the 1st time Randy had used a chute plane to scout. Him and Greg Krogh are two of the best bow hunters of all time......there history has proved it. I hope like heck this accident didn't hurt Randy to bad and he's back by February.

If you want a chute plane and an afford it.....get one and use it. I know I can't afford one.....would I like one? You bet. Would I use it? You bet.

Back in the day everyone used open site rifles....then came rifle scopes. Back in the day no one had binoculars or a spotting scope......now everyone has them. Should we outlaw all these? NO.

The best hunters of all time were probably the indians. What methods did they use? A wood bow and a wood stick with a rock tip. Were they hunting for trophies? NO. Did they kill stuff? Yes. They didn't have a bow that shoots some 3XX ft per second. We have technologies nowadays that our ancestors didn't have. Should we use them? YES.

As long as your within the law.....it just comes down to how you feel when kneel and pray and you lay your head on your pillow.

RANDY BEST OF LUCK! HOPE YOU GET BETTER FAST. I'D LOVE TO SEE YOU AND GREG STICK SOME MONSTER AZ COUES!!!! Your ones from Mexico were AWESOME!!!! Your historical track record has proved you guys are some of the best archery hunters to ever live.

Scott

I think in some ways the indians of a hundred years ago had a couple of advantages on us & we have others on them. They didn't have the technology that we all have now, but they didn't go into the woods once or twice a week after work either. They lived there 24/7 & also had a much better herd to hunt before the settlers came and made all these land "improvements" that we now live in. Technology helps us make the most of our limited time. The question I pose is that as we continue to see more gadgets, some of which do significantly improve success rates (laser range finders, trail cams, etc.) what's going to happen to tag quantities? Maybe we'll become so efficient that AZG&F won't be able to offer enough tags for all of us. Think it's hard to draw a unit 1 bull tag now?

Runningbird,

You are right about hunting becoming a business.I do not like the outlook for the future of hunting.It has become all about whatever it takes to put the biggest trophy on the wall.And no I am not bad mouthing Ulmer.I am bad mouthing the direction of hunting in general.

Noel

Hey guys, I've been watching this thread for a while to see how bad it got. Flying has always been under scrutiny and has always been a secretive thing because it is so scrutinized. Many feel it's unfair and most feel that way not because it's unethical, but because they can't do it. It follows along the same lines as hunting becoming a rich man's sport! You wouldn't believe how many guys have and use flying machines to help their scouting! Several years ago laws weren't as strict or enforced and there were actually guys chasing down deer and elk with planes and then sending GPS coordinates of the worn out critter to a guy on the ground to walk in and shoot it! Some of you might even have videos in your collection where a deer gets shot that has its tongue hanging out for no appearant reason! That was wrong but thankfully the majority of it has stopped and those individuals were caught. Now days you have to stop flying 48 hrs. before a big game hunt and most everyone abides by the law. In Randy's defense, you still have to relocate your animals and kill them, all flying does is narrow your search down to a smaller area which CAN be done on foot or quads which most everyone can do. Most of the guys who use planes are under some sort of pressure to succeed. These are the hunters and guides who HAVE to produce year after year to provide a paycheck or reputation and that pressure leads them to use every legal tool they can, and flying is #1. Flying isn't just used to find a certain animal, it is useful in just locating all the water sources, hidden pockets, and the majority of the herds in a given area in a fraction of the time it would take on the ground. Sure, this seems unfair to most, but the fact is, anybody can do it and to get the best paraplane equipment and training will cost the same as buying a new ATV! I know it may ruin my reputation with some of you, but I bought a PPG (powered paraglider) last summer and had all the intentions of using it for my business to try and save scouting cost and equipment wear. I had flown it about 10 times down here in the desert while training and went up north for my first scouting flight last August. Paraplanes are hard to fly in high elevations and I learned that on my first trip, it was the scariest thing I've ever done and I will probably never do it again. My intentions were to use it for scouting, but I soon realized it's not worth risking your life. There has been several accidents lately with guys other than Randy and it just makes it all more clear to me that flying just isn't worth the risk when you can just take your time on the ground and be safe. Flying has never been a part of my successes in my business and I'm proud of all that we have done because it has all been due to hard work. Flying seemed like it would be a great tool at first but you couldn't be as proud of your results in the end and that is how I look at everyone elses results, keep it in perspective. I give alot more credit to the guys who work harder for their successes. Randy and others are incredible archers and hunters and deserve the credit they get, you just have to keep things in perspective. I hope Randy recovers soon and continues his great service to the archery world. BTW....I have a brand new Powered Paraglider for sale with all the gear and very low hours if anyone is interested :lol: :P (i'm not joking.....i'll make you a great deal) thanks, JIM>

FlyingIII_5_1ff.jpg

All I can say is HUNTING aint the same as I remember it being................. :(

I've also been watching this thread since the start, and while I've been trying to convince myself that as long as people aren't breaking any laws, their methods are o.k., but it's not working. To be honest, this turns my stomach. At what point does it stop being sporting & become technological warfare against animals?

According to PETA, 95% of the U.S. population are nonhunters. Some of those people support hunters & some oppose us. Most of them probably don't give a crap one way or the other, but when an anti-hunting bill comes up for the vote & PETA's smearing pictures of hunters floating around the mountains in their planes spying game from the air, whose side do you think they'll vote on? It won't be ours. Nobody'll take the time to find out that you can't hunt for 48 hours after flying, they'll just react on emotions that are prompted by their propoganda & vote accordingly.

Everyone's entitled to make their own judgments on ethics, but you have to keep other peoples perception as a factor that you consider. Don't believe me? Try to hunt lions in CA. Major victory for the anti's & something like this could be a huge weapon in their arsenal. Our right to hunt is not written in stone.

Good grief- Can we all stop it already!!! This is a great site but I've already had to banish one website because the ethics police were too much to stomach <<cough>> MonsterMuleys <<cough>> and I'd kinda like this one to stay on the favorites list. I don't care if dude found a way to teleport himself within 5 feet of the new world record- most of his hunts are archery and things go wrong far more often than than they go right. I'd rather see someone locate a brusier from a chute plane and make a stalk to within 50 yards than to see little Johnny Superstar rip off a round from his beloved 7MM at a bedded buck 500 yards out. R.U. didn't make the rules, he only plays by them same as the rest of us. Whether you choose to use every means possible within the boundaries given is up to you-

Stay loose,

Dave