ajohunter

The Muzzy hunt is almost here!

Can't wait to see this buck! Good job staying with it! Sean's buck is really nice too! I got a text from him yesterday with the pic. Awesome!

Aright alright. Email the pix to somebody who can post them already!

Yes I'm a spoiled impatient brat!! I've dreamed about that hunt for years and always eagerly await pix from those who succeed on it. I had enough points to draw it a few years ago when my cousin talked me into a late whitetail hunt instead. Can't say I regret it. I walked away with a 109-1/8" buck sporting a 19-1/2" outside spread, but,...I always wonder what might have been had I went with the muzzy mulie hunt. I think I'll be putting in for the late rifle mulie and late muzzy mulie hunt till I draw one or die. Whichever comes first...

Can't wait to see your buck.

Havent drawnthis tag since 1996! I was more excited about thius hunt than I have been about other hunts. Finally able to chase rutting mule deer with a gun!...LOL Not much found during scouting but the big ones were definately startingh to make their presence known as the hunt drew near! I was not able to hunt ipening day due to my work schedule but it was on for saturday. My good friends Bob and Donnie hunted with me the first day but with the wind and the full moon there was no deer movement. Bob glassed up a big 2x2 bedded in the open and i decided to make a practice stalk to see how close i could get since the buck was half a mile away.

D2419D02-5C3B-45B3-9C93-90F534330928_1.j

Got to 88 yards before he noticed me standing in the wide open.

Sunday was pretty uneventful with only a few does and some javelina spotted.

Monday morning my friend Perry joined me for the morning hunt. Whenever Perry and I hunt together we always seem to get into something!

First thing as I step out of the ranger and put my binos up I have a Typical 6x6 in my view. 30" wide and at least 200 inches! The buck is at 262 yards broadside. I decided to pass on the shot as it is just a bit to far for me to make a comfortable shot.

58DBC583-6B38-4B2F-985D-EEBF0D6AD4B8.jpg

We tried to get back on the buck but he worked his way off into the Palo verdes and Saguaros. Perry glassed up a large 4x4 sky lined chasing a doe which we then went after. The deer dropped behind a saddle before we got into position so we waited to see if they returned. Sure enough an hour later the does walked back to our side at 170 yards......but no buck. We waited for them to move on then made our way further into the desert to find the buck. But again he was nowhere to be seen.

E00AF0AB-67C9-4C54-9C2C-011E417D532F.jpg

After such an eventful morning we ran into a large herd of javelinas and some coyotes. That after noon Perry had to head home and I went out to look for the bucks again but the wind had everything bedded up.

187DAF6C-5AF4-412E-BCD1-A2C913108A95.jpg

The next saturday fond Bod Donnie and myself at it again! We located the does from previous trips but the only buck was a little utensil buck chasing them around. 2x1.

Sunday, Larry and Tony and Larrys other son Brett came down to join the fun with me and Bob. Nice COLD wind free morning and right off the bat Bob glasses up deer at almost a mile away. There are 2 bucks chasing does when Larry spots a larger chocolate horned buck working their way!. We decide to drive around and sneak up behind them.

As we creep over the rise I spot the smaller buck 130 yard away. We sneak to the top and spot the does and a large 3x3 standing at 170yards. We decide to take the 3 point and are getting set up for the shot. I threw my Outdoorsmans pack down and lined up on the buck. As im looking at him the chocolate horned buck walks out. One of the biggest typical 4x4's I have ever seen Close to 30"wide tall with deep forks. With a solid rest and a 170 yard range I let the 50 cal CVA bark hellfire! Thge buck stumbled and lifted his right front leg like he is hit hard! The deer walked behind a Palo Verde and all we could see was his rack. I reloaded and waited to get a follow upo shot if needed.....but instead of falling over the buck walked off about another hundred yards into a small was. He never came back out!

Woo Hoo! Big Buck Down! or so we thought! We gathered our gear and slowly made our way down to where he was at. As I was approaching where he went into the wash the buck jumped up at 50 yards and stotted over the hill like nothing was wrong with him. I ran over the ridge with Brett and he spotted him going across another ridge 180 yards away. I let another shot fly and we lost sight of the buck. We went to the top where we last seen him but no deer! We back tracked and picked up his trail where he crossed the wash and found drops of blood. Not alot but it was hopeful. We tracked and tracked but it was difficult in the rocky terrain. We followed his trail for about a 1/4 mile until we lost it. We got more help and scoured the desert surrounding where we last had sign but to no avail. For lack of a better term I was SICK! I hate losing an animal! Anyplace that deer couild be we looked and looked and looked some more. The afternoon found us back out glassing and looking some more. With the small amount of blood dripping we started to think it was not a mortal injury.

The next day I had to hunt alone and went out to glass the area where the buck was at in case there were crows or coyotes. Not even a raven or crow to be seen. With the hunt getting closer to the end I dedcided to take the next decent buck I find.

As I was driving to another glassing point I spotted another buck pushing some doies on a ridge. I jumped out, grabbed my rifle and waited for the buck to stop.

When he finally stopped I put the cross hairs on his shoulder and let one fly off hand at 270 yards. BOOM! The buck jumpped up at the shot and stood still. He walked off staggering behind a doe when he spit out a huge blood clot. The buck made his way to a Palo Verde tree and layed down. The beast was dead.

177EB0D5-9454-4214-808B-9DDE43D0C2D2.jpg

The 250 grain saboted Hornady SST made a clean pass through. Blowing out the lungs and liver.

He might not be the biggest buck in the area but he is still a respectable buck.

Thanks to everyone that helped out on my hunt. Its always more fun when friends and family are involved.

I hope the buck I lost is still roaming the hills chasing does, I didnt tag the monster I had hoped for but im thankful for the deer I killed.