capoeirajosh

Rutting

I'm rooting for all you guys but I can't hunt till January so I'm gonna hope in my mind that the rut slows down till then. Then again the secondary rut can be better than any other time.

if you watch a mule deer will shake their tail before raising their head when feeding, if you are stalking move while their head is down and freeze at the tail shake, you will be surprised how close you can get

And usually they'll do the tail shake before they take a step, so if you're shooting you know if they are about to move.

• Like 1

Glassed up a group of does that had a stud 4 point with them as well as a decent 3 point. They weren't chasing tail just yet but those two bucks were not getting along real good. Every time they got close to each other that big buck would chase that smaller one away from him. Of course I blew my stalk dang it!! I was in unit 20C.

• Like 1

The buck my wife killed Fri was running a doe hard there was 4 bucks after one doe.she must have been hot there was 7 doe on the same fridge but all the bucks were after that one doe

Seen one lone doe this morning. Glassed up 6 bedded does around 11 and thought I would make a move on them in case there was a buck I couldn't see. Ended up busting out 11 does and no bucks.

I was out today. Saw over 30 deer 8 of those were bucks. 5 were shooters. All the groups of does had a buck with them just hangin around. Very early rut IMO. Headin back out tomorrow to try and seal the deal. What a great day in the woods nonetheless.

• Like 3

Been out the past 3 days. Finally, today I found some bucks. 3 of them. I tried to stalk in on two of them. Got busted. I have never stalked in on deer before. Any rules I should stick to? Should you always wait until they bed down or do you stalk in on them just when you see them? Also, is hunting from a blind effective for desert mulies during the rut? I keep hearing that they cannot be patterned. I ask this because, I watched a buck making a scrape this evening. I was thinking about building a blind in the area in hopes that he will be there tomorrow evening checking his scrape?

I saw four different groups of does and fawns totaling 18 deer and not even a hint of a buck around them..............not ever spikes or forks.

The deer I have seen this week are swollen and the ones I have smelled are stinkin up the joint! Definitely going to start rutting soon!

• Like 1

Glassed this 4x3 with 8 does two days ago. Was cool seeing him push them around.

post-9346-0-80847700-1387506873.jpg

• Like 1

Nice buck!

/>Glassed this 4x3 with 8 does two days ago. Was cool seeing him push them around.

What unit, if you don't mind me asking?