This may have been posted already but I didn't feel like browsing through all the topics to find one. I have been wanting to try the heart of a deer but have not done so yet, I've tried the tongue and liver before but never the heart. I've heard many things about eating a deer heart before so I thought I just need to try it for myself. So the big question here, what do you all think is the best way to cook a heart, who has a recipe that they are willing to share? Let's hear 'em!

I clean the heart and slice it in pieces about 3/8 inch thick. Next I soak them in saltwater for several hours. Remove from water, pat dry, bread with flour salt pepper garlic and any other spices you enjoy. Fry in pan with a little olive oil.

• Like 1

^ what he said

sound like great recipes! I usually don't eat the heart, but usually take heart and kidneys to cook up for the dogs. These recipes make me think I should keep the heart for myself!

Did anybody watch the "Meat Eater" episode where he hunted Coues Deer. He took the heart and wrapped it with the fat from the buck and broiled it over the fire and sliced it up. I believe he had sautéed onions and bell peppers with Dobo sauce, that looked good.

• Like 1

These all sound like great recipes and I'm sure to try all of them, but here is something I threw together real quick this evening and it came out great. I am now a fan of deer heart.

First I started by slicing the heart down the middle to open it up and get inside to clean out the heart.

post-6017-0-56994400-1386303517_thumb.jpg

Second I cleaned the heart of all the blood and cut out all the veins so I was left with a clean piece of muscle, it almost looked like a regular venison steak when it was all cleaned out.

post-6017-0-82415500-1386303494_thumb.jpg

After that I took a whole apple, quarter of a yellow bell pepper, a thick slice of a spanish white onion and layed it out inside the butterflied heart.

post-6017-0-48374400-1386303474_thumb.jpg

post-6017-0-26520600-1386303455_thumb.jpg

Once the heart was full I closed it up by bringing the two ends together and to keep it closed I used some toothpicks to hold it all together nice and tight so the slices of vegetables and fruit wont fall out.

post-6017-0-68872200-1386303433_thumb.jpg

I finished it all of by wrapping it in aluminum foil and cooking it for 35 to 45 minutes at 350 degrees in the oven. Then to add a little char to the outsides by throwing it in a hot skillet with some butter and salt. Just long enough to give it some color on the outside. It was a medium rare when it was all said and done and now the heart is one of my favorite things to eat from a deer.

• Like 1

Justin,

Do you remember back in high school Mr. Wood's biology class would dissect cow hearts. Afterwards, he ground it up, mixed it with some fat, and grilled heart burgers for all who were interested. They were always good and always seemed to be plenty to go around. Good times!