trophyhunter

What's Scarier?

Thank you Mr. Quimby, I agree & am optimistic. I also am ashamed to admit it, but sitting here now, still young at 28, I have to say that I was better off at 20 than now. Which is sad, because my salary is twice as much now as it was than. I made the mistake of marrying young & then made the next mistake of letting my wife (ex-wife now, thank god!) run the finances. Ultimately, I can't blame her because I allowed it to happen, but when I received the, "I'm unhappy, and, ohh yeah, I'm also seeing someone else" speech I got to leave the house with practically all of "our" debt on my credit. During a 2 1/2 year marriage I went from about $5000 of debt to over $50k. She had forged my signature on a couple of credit apps that I didn't even know about until after we were separated. Add a 3 year long divorce that accrued over $10k in lawyer bills and you've got someone who learned a very hard lesson. I just thank God that it happened while I'm young enough to rebuild.

Thank you Mr. Quimby, I agree & am optimistic. I also am ashamed to admit it, but sitting here now, still young at 28, I have to say that I was better off at 20 than now. .... I just thank God that it happened while I'm young enough to rebuild.

You will. Please take some advice from an old man: buy real estate now.

Whatever land and structures cost, it will never be cheaper than it is now -- if you select the right property.

I own four houses and 150 acres of land in a prime area. My total investment was only about $120,000 during the 25 years I was buying real estate. I was working two jobs then, and every time I had some extra cash I bought properties -- some of it with mortgages, others from my own savings. My investments have grown in value more than 20 times what I paid for them.

It took time, though, and time is on your side at age 28.

Bill Quimby :)

Minimum wage type jobs were for kids looking for spending money and a way to get some real world work experience when I was young, not for families of 8 (with the 9th on the way) living in a 2 bedroom apartment.

Desertbull:

That whole thing just makes me want to vomit. I haven't had a minimum wage job since my junior year in high school and don't see why any one who isn't either A.) in high school or B.) retired & starting a name tag collection should have a minimum wage job. That crap about raising a family on it is ridiculous. It was a good idea back in the 19th century when people were working in chicken plucking factories for 20 cents a day, but has far outlived its usefulness. Let supply & demand rule wages. If you have a skill and at least a moderate dose of common sense, then you'll be in high demand and in short supply, which equals a premium wage.

Mr. Quimby:

Couldn’t agree more. We bought a house last summer & are looking for acreage this year. Probably in the south or midwest. I would like a piece of dirt big enough to hang a couple treestands on. We’ve considered buying a rental property, but I already work overtime & run 2 businesses part-time. I don’t think I have the energy to manage rentals on top of that. I have a little machine shop in my garage that I will be adding a CNC mill to in the next couple months. Once I get that on the floor, it’ll generate revenue on its own while I’m at my archery store or sitting on my couch playing x-box. I’m pretty excited about that. Technology may have been the death of the machinist trade, but I’m not too proud to take advantage of it! :D

Sr. Bill, do you want to be my daddy? :D

Ernesto: Sorry, but I asked my daughter and she said she doesn't want a brother. :D

Desertbull: If someone with a family of 8 with a 9th on the way didn't learn what was causing his predictament after siring three or four kids, he should not expect society to support him and seven or eight others. He needs to get a trade. Raising the minimum wage is inflationary. 12 to 18 months after raising it, and all that will happened is the price of everything will have gone up a notch and the actual status of the guys at the bottom will not have changed. He still will not be earning a "living" wage.

Bill Quimby

I think eveybody is starting to get off track. This topic wasnt' posted to debate whether or not to raise minimum wage. There are other places for that, but please not on this site. So, it sounds like most people are more worried about illigals than lions. Makes sence. I may not have a tag for an illigal, but do have the right to protect me and my family if I feel threatend. It would be nice to run into a few more lions though. I wish the lions were as sneaky as the illigals. I would have my limit openin day. Thanks for all the posts and remarks.

Guest Ernesto C

I'm being a member of this forum several years now like many others here and every single year the topic about "illegals" come up, that does not bother me, what bothers me is when some one post something and then right away some one starts attacking and judging that individual. We should judge the idea,opinion or post, not the indivudual. If someone post something and what he/she is saying is not correct, that does not mean that that indivudual is useless or it is an ignorant and we should start "trowing rocks" at him/her.

I was tempted to shot down this topic at one point earlier; this topic comes up every year and so far we have not get any where yet with arguing. Maybe if we were getting off track.........................hummm maybe it was a good mistake to make.

Now talking about the family that had 8 or 9 kids I can only say two things, or they did not had T.V. and had to much time on their hands or..................they did had the T.V. but were whatching the wrong kind of movies ;)

Ernesto C

Sr. Bill, do you want to be my daddy? :D

Ernesto: Sorry, but I asked my daughter and she said she doesn't want a brother. :D

Desertbull: If someone with a family of 8 with a 9th on the way didn't learn what was causing his predictament after siring three or four kids, he should not expect society to support him and seven or eight others. He needs to get a trade. Raising the minimum wage is inflationary. 12 to 18 months after raising it, and all that will happened is the price of everything will have gone up a notch and the actual status of the guys at the bottom will not have changed. He still will not be earning a "living" wage.

Bill Quimby

Not only has their status not changed, but the status of the rest of us has worsened. Unless of course you're luck enough to work for someone who's going to compensate you for the increase.

I'm not particularly frightened of either, but would still rather run into the lion. As of yet, the only one I've ever seen was in someones front yard. Go figure!

When has this topic about illegals and lions been discussed. The topic is "what's scarier? illegals or lions". I don't ever remember seeing a post that had anything to do with illegals and lions together. It's a simple question. Didn't want anybody to get into politics or government issues. Once people hear illegals they get defensive and want to start arguing. If your post doesn't apply to either being scared by illegals or lions than maybe you should post or make a new topic somewhere else.

Any conversation of length will eventual meander on to other related topics. You should be proud for starting this one. 7 pages & still counting! That might not get you into the P&Y book, but it has to be some kind of record for this discussion forum.

P.S. I changed my mind after reading that report from the whitehouse. I don't want to run into any illegals.

Perhaps I worded my last repsonse wrong. I am not for raising the min wage. I was trying to say that min wage jobs were never meant to be a career type of employment. They are entry level jobs with expectation of you improving your value to your employer with more experience.

Sorry for the confusion. I am not a liberal, I promise.