Sign in to follow this  
Hunterdan

2006 Coues Deer Buck

I have never posted before, so I guess this would be a good time to start. I am back from my Deer hunt. I was fortunate to fulfill a dream of many years to take a trophy class Coues Deer Buck. There is quite a story behind it! I had seen several bucks over the previous 3 days but was holding out for something good. On Tuesday I had been glassing all day with little success when shortly before dark I glassed up a buck that looked like a good Buck. He was in the next canyon. I took off hoping that I could get to the next canyon and be within shooting range before dark. I came out over a bluff that was strait across from him at 400 yards. This was as close as I could get with just a few minutes of light left. This was the longest shot I have taken. The shot was perfect and he went down right away and was motionless so I knew he was dead. With it being dark there was no way I could get across the canyon and find him in the dark with no moon so I made the decision to return in the morning and get him. I could not sleep that night and couldn't wait to return at first light. I was thinking as I was laying in my sleeping bag I hope a lion doesn't get to him. When I return in the morning I found the spot where he dropped and was laying. He was not there. My heart sank and I was sick. I thought for sure he was dead. I started looking for blood and trying to follow a blood trail. About 30 yards down the hill I found him buried up under a juniper tree. A lion had got to him. The lion drug him down the hill under the tree and ate some of his midsection and guts and then covered him in rocks, sticks and dirt. Fortunately All the good meat was not touched and the Cape was not messed up so I can have it mounted with the exception of one ear was half bite off. I think this is were he was dragging him down the hill by his ear. I was about as excited as you could be and he had no ground shrinkage as has been the case in the past with some of my coues bucks. He was actually bigger then I realized when I glassed him up and shot him. He is a 4x4. Although I am not the best at scoring I did a rough score in camp with my tape and came up with 109 inches. Also the lion only messed up one side of his body so I was fortunate to be able to take good pictures with the good side of the bucks body. As I said this is my first post so I hope the picture shows. I will email to Amanda also. Dan

Cool!

Too bad you could not have waited around for that deer killing furball to come back for breakfast.

Great Buck Dan. and Great shot as well. I have one posted in the rifle page 20. it is the first buck on that page. He has a half ear as well from a lion. you can not see it because 8it is the back ear in the picture.

Dan,

Awesome experience, and a really nice buck. Congratulations. Is there brow tines on your buck. I cannot tell from your picture.

Bob

Dan,

Awesome experience, and a really nice buck. Congratulations. Is there brow tines on your buck. I cannot tell from your picture.

Bob

Thanks! Yes they are only about 2 and half inches.

A story like that is what I'm after when I go hunting. And then on top of it the buck tapes out at 109! Amazing story and excellent shot.

Congratulations and great story! Glad you were able to salvage the deer after the lion got ahold of it. Great deer!

Ron

one ear was half bite off.
That should make for a great story when people are looking at your animal on the wall.

Congrats on a very nice coues!!!!

I'd have been back on that kill site glassing for a lion later that day and the next. That would have been awesome to have both the buck and the lion on the wall. I have dreamed that very scenario so many times in my head it's pathetic.

Again sweet deer congrats!

cmc

Daniel,

Congrats! Great story. It is amazing how many people are having lion experiences this year. I still think we should all get together and dedicate 3 or 4 weekends to nothing but killing those suckers!!!!

I'm sure that buck will go over 109" :blink: