Sign in to follow this  
Couestracker

How many points?

A couple of you guys on here have nailed it when it comes to the comments on the 10% NR cap (not a guarantee) and what tags COULD go to NR's in the 20% max bonus point pool draw!

The fact is that on PREMIUM hunts where there are lots of NR's in the max pool, they hit the 10% cap before it ever gets to the regular draw.

That's why G&F is changing the rule.

NR's who didn't have a lot of bonus points finally figured it out that they would NEVER draw a premium tag, so many started to drop out.

By changing the rule to only 5% of the tags COULD go in the max bonus point draw, there is an opportunity for any NR to draw a tag in the second draw.

That keeps everyone in the game, as then ALL NR's will have a crack at some of those premium tags even though they don't have a lot of bonus points.

Is this not a "slap in the face" the guys/gals who have been in the game the longest;? I figure those folks have paid their dues and have kept applying for a decade or even two and now the rules change...hmm

On the other hand I see the Dept's position on this by giving others who haven't been in as long a CHANCE to draw, thereby keeping them in the game.

That being said I wonder when that rule takes effect, if you'll see some different draw strategies start with those in the max pool..

I'm thinking that the "old guys" like me (60+) who have been applying only for Unit 13B will start applying for 13A and the 12A West late hunts.

If memory serves me correct there are about 30 tags a year issued to NR's in the max point deer pool.

But about that number are going into the max pool because they (those that were just one point behind and needed only the AZ Hunter ED class) are finally taking AZ Hunter Education so they refill that max deer pool.

So instead of 30 tags going out each year, there will be only 15 or so.

Doesn't sound good for the "old NR guys" does it?

As a resident with 15 points though, unless I croak in the next few years, I'll eventually get a 13B tag. A benefit of being a life long resident of the Grand Canyon state!

Just some things to ponder...

Don Martin

I have a non-resident client with one point that has drawn either Mzzllder or Rifle 19A. There is hope for everyone under the current system, whether non-resident or not. Have two others that are residents with five points that drew together, and another with only nine.

got 19 points for big horn i don't think i have a chance yet, dont even no what unit to put in for

/>got 19 points for big horn i don't think i have a chance yet, dont even no what unit to put in for

If you want help PM me. I can tell you where your best shot is.

Unit 19b rifle 1 point. Unit 10 rifle 9 points. Don't have any advise other than pick the winning numbers...... So no advise... .... Wish I knew more