ScottAdams

Unit 27/28 Coues Hunt

The hunt ended yesterday and I've finally got some time to catch my breath. Here's a summary of the hunt.

On Friday, Day 1, was the day that Ronda killed her buck. We had hiked in about a mile and glassed an area that I've hunted off and on for the last 13 years or so. We saw a bachelor group of 5 bucks. Ronda was able to take the largest of those. I believe we would have seen another buck or two but our attention was on the kill.

Saturday Day 2 we had a pretty easy day, hardly any hiking. Of course along with that we didn't see any bucks either. We did see Coues does, Muley does, javelina and Bighorn sheep. Here is Keven glassing some Muley does feeding below us.

L1010760enh.jpg

We also glassed up the largest bodied ram I've ever had the pleasure of seeing in real life. I swear this beast was 300 lbs. if he was an ounce!! If you took off his horns he would look like a big brahma bull. He was a different color than the other sheep too. He was colored more like a bull elk. Here he is.

L1010693crp.jpg

Sunday Day 3 we hunted another area and were able to spot 3 Coues bucks. One appeared to be really nice but he was 2 miles out and tough to field judge. We could see some excellent main beams in both mass and length, however we just couldn't make out much on tine length and it was one heck of a hike over there so we passed on him. Here is where he was.

L1010774crp.jpg

Monday Day 4 we hunted yet another area where we glassed up 4 Coues bucks. One was a spike and the other 3 were all 3-pointers but not anything that Amanda or James was interested in. Here's Amanda glassing.

L1010777crp.jpg

Monday afternoon Ronda and I headed to Phoenix for the Aerosmith concert and didn't return until Tuesday evening. Amanda continued to hunt but only saw does.

Wednesday Day 6 we again went to a fresh area. We glassed up 2 Coues bucks, one of which looked pretty good. Once again it was a long hike over there and with the buck somewhat questionable on just how good he was we decided to pass.

Thursday Day 7 we decide to get a little more serious and do a 3 mile pack trip into an area I hadn't hunted in probably 10 years. We hiked in half way on Friday and glassed and were able to spot 4 Coues bucks. They were a lot of fun to watch. It seemed all they wanted to do was fight each other. They would pair up and go after it for a while and then switch partners and go through a few more rounds. One looked pretty good but not quite what Amando or James was looking for. This is the best photo I get of the bucks.

L1010799crp.jpg

That afternoon we hiked on in to where we were going to camp and ran across this nice lion kill.

L1010806crp.jpg

That evening we had nice camp fire and enjoyed the solitude of the back country, the stars and the night sounds of the wilderness.

L1010819crp.jpg

Friday Day 9 we hiked up to a nice glassing point and started our morning ritual of scanning the country for bucks. After about 30 minutes Amanda glassed up 2 Coues bucks and called James and I over. We looked at what she had and saw she had found a very nice buck. We watched the 2 bucks working across the ridge and planned a stalk. However, the buck bedded in a very tough spot to get to and in spite of our attempts to get on him, he gave us the slip. James, who was watching from across the canyon, said at one point we were within 30 yards of the buck but we couldn't see him through the brush and trees. Oh, well that's how it goes sometimes. Here's the ridge where the buck feeding.

L1010829crp.jpg

And here's the buck

L1010820crp.jpg

We were going to stay longer, possibly another day, and search for the buck but the spring that I had planned to get our water from was lost. Well, at least I couldn't find it. So we hiked out very thirsty and tired.

The next 2 days of the hunt were uneventful with no bucks spotted in the areas we hunted. In 9 days of hunting we saw 20 different bucks and only hunted one area twice. We never saw another hunter in the field during the whole hunt. It was a lot of fun and a real challenge. I'm ready for the next one.

Thanks for the great pics and story, looks like you guys and gals had a great time.

Guest Ernesto C

Oh man.............what's going on Scott?? all those hunts you had lately are wearing you out?? :D Just joking........we all know you are the man and Amanda is getting really good locating those majestick grey ghost ha?

Nice story,nice pictures and a awesome adventure, thank you all.

Ernesto C

Another great post and pics Scott. Thank you :)

That ram is amazing. Nice bucks too.

Awesome pics and story. How big do you think that buck was? Looks like hes pushing 110 to me but I can't tell how long his G1s are. That is an absolute pig of a ram.

Keven

Thanks for sharing! It's always a pleasure reading about your adventures. That ram is unbelieveable!!!

I hope you keep an eye out on that area and the Rams as it may not be to long befor that head will be ready to claim as a pick up. He has to have a hyper tension issue. And his triglisorides have to be off the chart. :lol:

Yea I think you're right. He may have a thyroid problem or something. He's downright obese.

Keven, we guessed he would go around 100, give or take.

Great stories and pictures once again! B) It's alwasy a plesure reading and looking at your posts. Thanks

Lance

Scott, once again, beautiful pictures and the story to go with it..........sounds like you guys had a great time and like everyone else said, the Ram/hereford cross breed is HUGE........thanks........Allen......