Sign in to follow this  
MAGNUM

"Heart Break Hotel"

So I have always enjoyed reading peoples posts on here but have never really posted much except for this year. I made my first real post in august with an antelope that I shot. So I figured if I enjoy reading these posts then I should contribute as well:). So here is the story............

I was sitting in a heavy rutting ground that was getting pounded with activity. The only problem is, that it is super thick and not very long range rifle friendly. I got in and set up at around 715 or so. I set up near a salt lick that me and a buddy had built along time ago to hunt for the early archery hunt. I am pretty much a archery only kind of guy as you can tell by my tactics for a rifle tag, I just enjoy sitting and waiting for the game to come to me. So anyways back to the story, once I was set up, at about 8 I had a nice 6x6 bull walk/feed right in front of me at about 15 yards. Then right behind him not more than 2 minutes later a little basket buck was coming through accompanied by another bull! Since my buddy had filled his tag a week earlier I had a pretty itchy trigger finger!!!! I was ready to put the hammer down on that little buck. Well that didn't happen! That bull that was with him got a little nervous and decided to start trotting which obviously scared the little "grey ghost" off!! So that was a bummer but cool at the same time to have the action. Then at about 9 or so I had a nice healthy doe walk/feed right in front of me, and I mean right in front of me (maybe 6 yards if that). That got me pretty excited hoping for a dinged out buck sniffing right behind her. At 1015 I herd something coming in from the right (which is very thick) and I could see that it was a big bodied deer but couldn't tell if it was a buck or not. His head finally popped through a little clearing and I saw his "left" side and instantly said shooter buck! He was about 30 yards from me walking the same path as the bulls had earlier, so I slowly set into my rifle waiting for him to pop into the clearing that I had as a shooting lane. I was watching him through my peripheral vision coming through the thick stuff, and as soon as he popped into the clearing I set into my scope (which all's I could see was fur cause he was only 25 yards) and put it right behind his shoulder and BOOM!!!!! Right after the shot he hunched up, reared back and turned falling over and that's when the "heart break" set in. "Son of a buck he is completely broke off"!!!!!! I was super excited to finally harvest a great buck in that area because me and my buddy had put a lot of time and work into that area with no results until now!!!! Nothing better than hunting Arizona Coues Deer!!!

post-2516-0-20955300-1388102522.jpg

• Like 1

I still would have shot him even if I got a good look at him. Congrats.

That is a bummer but still a great buck! Congratulations and thank you for sharing your hunt.

Taxidermists can do a lot with plastics these days... Ok maybe not that, but it's a great buck regardless!!!

I still would have shot him even if I got a good look at him. Congrats.

+1 There is still some mighty fine eating there

Son of a gun!! Must of been a shock for sure!! Still a great buck though and a good story to go with it!! Congrats you filled your tag!!

That is still a fantastic buck! Congrats on a good hunt!

I too enjoy reading all the story's Thanks for posting and Congrats on your buck