Sign in to follow this  
Hoss50

7MM Rem. Mag Pet Loads?

I am going to start working on a 7MM Rem Mag load to act as my backup rifle for elk/deer/everything. These loads will be running through a Browning BAR so I don't know if I can max load it. I am thinking about running in the 140-160gr area and will be using IMR4831 since I am about to pick up an 8lb tub of it.

I like Nosler BT's & Partitions, but also like Speer BT's and Hornady products. This is going to be a load I want to be able to hit at 500 yrds with, and ballistics should be similar to my 257 Weatherby which is my primary rifle so it should be totally doable.

Does anyone have any pet loads or advice on what they have had success with in 7mm Mag?

Thanks

My newest one is proving to be the best I have put together. New powder even though my go to is H1000. 4831 should work but this Ramshot ball powder makes things so much easier and speeds up the electronic scale. I bit behind my H1000 load for MV but when it started throwing bullets through the same hole I quit caring.

Nosler 168gr Accubond LR

Nosler brass

CCI large rifle primers

70.5gr of Ramshot Magnum

Oh and I just shot my first +100 Coues in Mexico this week with this load. ~310yds and he dropped like a stone. :D

most on longrangehunting use H-1000. the most accurate bullets out of mine are 140 berger, 140 accubond and 168 berger. i have not tried the new long range accubonds yet.

I have an older 700ADL that loves 65 grains of 4831 and 160 grain Partitions. Also pretty fond of 140 grain boat tail bullets and 66 grains of 4350.

I have an older 700ADL that loves 65 grains of 4831 and 160 grain Partitions.

I am going to try a load along these lines first since I have a box of 160gr. Speer BT's sitting here from my Dad. I am going to pick up something in the 140-150gr range soon I think as well and start working with something a little lighter like that.

/>My newest one is proving to be the best I have put together. New powder even though my go to is H1000. 4831 should work but this Ramshot ball powder makes things so much easier and speeds up the electronic scale. I bit behind my H1000 load for MV but when it started throwing bullets through the same hole I quit caring.

Nosler 168gr Accubond LR

Nosler brass

CCI large rifle primers

70.5gr of Ramshot Magnum

Oh and I just shot my first +100 Coues in Mexico this week with this load. ~310yds and he dropped like a stone. :D

Rcd, what is the fps of your Ramshot loads? Have you worked up any loads using H1000 with the 168 LR Accubonds? I bought some of the 168's also and looking for some recipes to try. Your Coues might be one of the first ones to get smoked by these, Congrats!

I picked up my 8lb jug of 4831 yesterday. Hopefully this weekend I will have the first batch of 7mm's loaded for testing. I am going to start with the 160gr Speer BT's I already own and probably try and pick up a box of 140-150 Nosler BT's or Accubonds.

Thanks

Azbow, I shot the 168 Bergerac with h1000 the last couple of years and had them scooting around 3050fps. The accubond LR are only about 2950 w the ramshot. I know I can get a little more if I take the load up a half gr but have not tried. I am also sure the H1000 will push them 3050 just like the bergers. However it is shooting so well I made up 60 rounds as is and will shoot these for awhile. Oh the drop chart for the AB's is equal to the Berger even with the loss of 100fps. Just a little more efficient design.

Thx rcd, what is your load of H1000 to get 3050 fps with the Bergers and is that through a 26" tube? I havn't loaded H1000 yet but have some of it to try. Are you getting better groups with the Ramshot and AB's? I have seen a few people say that the AB LR's aren't as good of BC as Nosler is trying to push with these bullets, if so, that would make it hard to chart their flight.

I am also hoping to get a load worked out with them going around 3000fps, but 2950 would be good enough if they are really the BC specs they are said to be. Do you know how far off the lands your pet load is?

Is Ramshot a very stable powder in various temperature ranges? I might be looking for some of it.....

Hoss, what is the twist of your barrel? I couldn't get 140's to group after yrs of trying and recently found out that I have a 1 in 10 grove and the larger 168 gr bullets are supposed to work better. I am working with these now and hopefully find the ticket soon.

Hoss, what is the twist of your barrel? I couldn't get 140's to group after yrs of trying and recently found out that I have a 1 in 10 grove and the larger 168 gr bullets are supposed to work better. I am working with these now and hopefully find the ticket soon.

That is a good question, and I am honestly not sure. I will have to look that up now. It is an older Browning BAR in 7mm that I plan to be working the loads for so I will have to find out.

Azbow, I will look up the specs when I am back home this weekend. Magnum is supposed to be slightly more stable than H1000 which has always boasted about the best stability rating out there. Magnum claims were only 2% over 100 deg change in temp, I think I read that on long range hunting.

The accubonds were seated out pretty close to the lands but not touching. Touching lost a noticeable amount of accuracy. Also, their claims have to b fairly close for the modeling in the Shooter app because I did not have to make any adjustments out to 550yds. I did not get to shot them at 1k yet, and on the bergers I had to tweak things a little at 700 to get the drop right out to 1k.

I was using H1000 @ 69.5gr on the berger 168's.

rcd, I looked at the Berger ballistic chart and the 168 gr Berger classic hunters that are going 3000fps is almost identical to the 168 gr AB LR going 2950 fps. That will work for me with my turrets so I am going to try your load to see if it works with my gun. You are not using magnum primers, just the CCI large rifle? ( I compared these two bullets side by side and the AB is quite a bit longer so I hope they fit in the Mod 70 magazine.)Thanks!

Yes, I found the magnums aren't necessary. I read a lot on that subject and found quite a bit of feedback where others found better ES with std primers