Sign in to follow this  
rclouse79

kifaru packs

I am in the initial stages of starting to check these out. Is there anywhere close Tucson you can go to try one of these on? For how much they cost I am a little hesitant to drop the cash without making sure it fits well. Any experience with them would be appreciated.

I have a stone glacier terminus if you want to see it shoot me a PM, I went through the kifaru stage and there isnt any doubt theyre awesome packs, although I decided the stone glacier was the pack to buy after trying both of them, the weight savings is phenomenal

I have a stone glacier terminus if you want to see it shoot me a PM, I went through the kifaru stage and there isnt any doubt theyre awesome packs, although I decided the stone glacier was the pack to buy after trying both of them, the weight savings is phenomenal

I have the same Stone Glacier as well, which I used on a 10 Dall Sheep hunt and a elk hunt, and it worked perfectly.

I was checking those out a little bit also. Thanks for the offer, I just might shoot you a pm in the future.

There seems like a lot to digest with the kifaru packs. I was looking at the timberline 2. If that is the one you like you have to choose between with one with an integrated frame, or just the bag with one of two external frames. It all seems like a daunting decision without being able to put your hands on it.

I understand the sticker shock of the packs. I bought an Express for my first Kifaru. Decided to upgrade when the second generation packs came out. I currently have a Late Season and a Duplex Frame and Cargo Panel. I use a small pod and a Longhunter Lid with the Duplex for day hikes and either a Grab It (light) or the Cargo Panel (heavy duty) to strap stuff to the frame. My Late Season if more of a do all pack but the Duplex Frame is as comfortable or possibly more comfortable than the Late Season.

Kifaru builds packs with lots of options. Some of their packs are more of the save weight, use one big bag arrangement. Other packs like the Timberline you mentioned have more pockets to arrange your items. The large bags are good for stuffing meat and capes inside. The Duplex frame is great if you carry odd shaped loads and need extra support of the framesheet. Bikini can do the same with lighter frame materials and higher cost. External frame is also good if you want a big bag for longer overnight trips and a smaller bag for shorter day trips or a Cargo Panel arrangement for more awkward items like treestands. The nice thing about a panel loader is you can also use stuff sacks or dry bags to substitute for a backpack on the frame for cost and weight savings. Again, tons of options. Timberline 2 is a great do it all sized pack. I would go for the Duplex Timberline if I was only buying one pack, so that I could remove it and use the lid only for weight savings on day hikes or to easily strap stuff to the back of the frame.

Aron Snyder from Kifaru is a great product rep and could answer just about any question you have about all the options.

I live in Yuma but would be happy to let you try either pack if you are interested. PM me if you might be interested in some sort of shipping arrangement or you happen to be in the area sometime. Maybe someone in Tucson could let you try theirs?

I understand the sticker shock of the packs. I bought an Express for my first Kifaru. Decided to upgrade when the second generation packs came out. I currently have a Late Season and a Duplex Frame and Cargo Panel. I use a small pod and a Longhunter Lid with the Duplex for day hikes and either a Grab It (light) or the Cargo Panel (heavy duty) to strap stuff to the frame. My Late Season if more of a do all pack but the Duplex Frame is as comfortable or possibly more comfortable than the Late Season.

Kifaru builds packs with lots of options. Some of their packs are more of the save weight, use one big bag arrangement. Other packs like the Timberline you mentioned have more pockets to arrange your items. The large bags are good for stuffing meat and capes inside. The Duplex frame is great if you carry odd shaped loads and need extra support of the framesheet. Bikini can do the same with lighter frame materials and higher cost. External frame is also good if you want a big bag for longer overnight trips and a smaller bag for shorter day trips or a Cargo Panel arrangement for more awkward items like treestands. The nice thing about a panel loader is you can also use stuff sacks or dry bags to substitute for a backpack on the frame for cost and weight savings. Again, tons of options. Timberline 2 is a great do it all sized pack. I would go for the Duplex Timberline if I was only buying one pack, so that I could remove it and use the lid only for weight savings on day hikes or to easily strap stuff to the back of the frame.

Aron Snyder from Kifaru is a great product rep and could answer just about any question you have about all the options.

I live in Yuma but would be happy to let you try either pack if you are interested. PM me if you might be interested in some sort of shipping arrangement or you happen to be in the area sometime. Maybe someone in Tucson could let you try theirs?

Thanks for all the info. One thing that made me feel a little better is as long as you don't use the pack outdoors you have 30 days to return it. I doubt I ever would, but when dropping some serious cash it is a little comfort.

Besides their return policy, re-sale value is excellent just in case you feel the need to part with it (see Kifaru Trading Post). Forgot to mention that. You really can't go wrong with whatever you choose; all their stuff is excellent!

I've used a Marauder, Pointman, and currently own a Zulu. All were used in "hunting" environments but never for elk or deer. I've found them to be fantastic and the kind of packs that tell you you'll never need anything else. I'm sure there are lighter ones out there and I've looked through the Stone Glacier website. Those are some good looking packs but I can't seem to justify spending another $400+ on another one to save maybe 8ozs.

How much capacity is necessary for 3-7 days? I think this might determine whether or not I drop the coin. That Nomad has me intrigued.