Sign in to follow this  
apache12

Thx to the folks on site with my boys jr hunt

So last week I posted a

On this and the youth page about my frustration with scouting for three weeks

For my 10 year olds first hunt and I had awesome help from guys on the site. Thank you

Hunt recap I ended up staying dugas road despite some other tempting spots and we could only hunt for two days due to work and such. So first morning I put my glass up and right into 10 cow elk going up a ridge my boy had a blast watching them. Not wanting to keep him on the glass for more than few hours we started to hike some and I showed him game trails and beds, feeding digs and scat. Needless to say our hiking got slower as he now had to point out each bed and sign along the way

so funny

Then we found the back end of a deer hind end that looked like a mtn lion kill.

No more pigs that day but we had a great camp night and great chow

Next morning we watched a number of does and that kept us on the glass until 10:30 and he was getting bored. As I extended my glassing distance I glassed pigs three ridges over and at the limit of my 15x50 vortex. I showed my boy and he said " let's go". Well I tried to explain that we couldn't make a hike in less than and hour and a half and by then they'd be gone. He said "let's go". I said we could see if the road we drove yesterday would get us close and then hike the ridge and pray we find them. He said "let's go". So we did and in about 20 min on a rough road we found a jeep road that got us to the ridge. Fortunately the pigs had flopped over the ridge in a spot of easy to spot yellow grass. We loaded up and the boy dragged me up the ridge. So now at 40 min since we saw the pigs with the wind at our back I thought our chances were low. I glassed out the other side thinking I'd see them 500 yrds out and going away. I didn't. So our plan was to move to the yellow grass where the ridge flattened out and then work down a spine that seemed would make sense they'd follow I showed my boy about stalking slow and easy and feel what's under his feet so not to break a stick and to check for lose rocks and we made a

quiet stalk but again a bad wind at our back

As we approached the grassy opening I scanned the field and stepped out from the junipers and field erupted pigs stood up around the field 20 yrds away. They had bedded in the grass and it was so tall we couldn't see them. I quick set my tripod down that I had already set for his standing shooting height (learned that on my two older boy hunts). His rifle was in my scabbard and his claw was on with a quick release to snap on the tripod. I struggled to pull the rifle out and we lost valuable time I got the rifle set and the pigs were now 50 yrds away or more and he couldn't get one on the scope. He swung the rifle back and forth trying to find a pig as I stood over him trying to guide him in. No luck they were moving quick and in tall grass

I was ready though I reached into my cargo pocket and pulled my j13 call ( not having used one before but I did watch videos and did practice) I hit the call thinking this was a perfect time to have them circle back. There was about 10 pigs and one with two piglets surely they would come in. Nope they hauled the mail faster. I couldn't believe it. Then I hear me boy say dad I'm on one. Dad he stopped As look down range I see one lone pig about 120 yrds away and it turn broadside to look back I suspect at the call. Then I hear "click". And my boys says dad the safety is on. I reach down click the safety and we look up and the pig is gone.

In desperation I hit the call and we run down the slope to see if we can see them in the thick cats claw and scrub oak. Nothing. Nothing. Surely they must be near nope nothing

Oh the painful look on my 10 year old I put my arm around him And say " great hunt". Great hunt indeed. We glassed at a distance we made a plan and executed the plan and made a good stalk in poor conditions and did all we could to act fast in a tough surprise. Could an adult or older boy mak an off hand shot. Yep. But he did the best he could and I sort of glad he saw how tough it is Maybe to have success first out he wouldn't appreciate the hunt.

Anyway we are back for a day hunt wed afternoon off bloody basin because it close and then day hunt on Saturday. I hope we have as much fun

Many thanks to all who responded to my frustration. Great people on this site

If you haven't hunted with a youngster try and make it happen. I made mistakes with my older boys and finally learned that there is so much more to show youth hunter that you almost forget the harvest.

And their exuberance to go for it even when your experience says it wont happen keeps you young.

Thx

• Like 2

oh that sounded fun. too bad he never get a shot off. im sure hes hooked for good now. dont forget about the area we talked about for a quick afternoon spot. good luck.

/>They wont go far. I would go back to the same spot.
+1.

Seems like unless you know where more pigs are off Bloody Basin, Id focus on the spot you found them in, pigs do like their homeranges.

Thanks for the update too and good luck. Nice job finding pigs in 21.

Great story and I enjoyed reading it. I have two youth boys that I'm working with, the hardest part is figuring out who's going to shoot first, once we find the game that is. Good luck on the rest of the hunt!

Great story! Best of luck to you and your son next time you guys head out!

Great story and I enjoyed reading it. I have two youth boys that I'm working with, the hardest part is figuring out who's going to shoot first, once we find the game that is. Good luck on the rest of the hunt!

Have them both shoot!!! Double bang!!! what kind of chaos that would create with pigs scattering everywhere ha