Sign in to follow this  
yotebuster

Minimum age to build points

Dang. I was getting g excited to start!! Any one know if there are any western states that allow you to start at a young age?

If memory serves me correctly, I don't think there is a minimum age in New Mexico, but I haven't looked in the regs for a while. I called 2 years ago to see if I could take my daughter turkey hunting at 8. They said I could as long as she had a Hunter Ed course. Of course, she couldn't take the class in AZ until she turned 9...

/>

Dang. I was getting g excited to start!! Any one know if there are any western states that allow you to start at a young age?

If memory serves me correctly, I don't think there is a minimum age in New Mexico, but I haven't looked in the regs for a while. I called 2 years ago to see if I could take my daughter turkey hunting at 8. They said I could as long as she had a Hunter Ed course. Of course, she couldn't take the class in AZ until she turned 9...

Thanks for the info. NM doesn't have a point system though so I better wait till she's ready to hunt to put her in there!

Sorry about giving bad information. I don't recall this topic every coming up before and I have alway thought you could build points earlier than ten. I think Game and Fish is throwing away revenue in this case.

If a father is willing to buy his child a license and bonus points for ten yrs, I do t see the harm in his child having a better shot at premium tags in his early yrs of big game hunting.

On the other hand, "shadow applications" IE grandma's application being used to sign over tags to jr is a bit much IMO.

Again, sorry about the bad info.

"So you're telling me I have to wait another 9 years and 5 months? Something sounds fishy here" :D

No fishing is a whole different set of rules :)

You have to have a license to apply and at 10 you have to pass the hunter safety to get the license. So why not just walk the walk and apply for the tag? That way you build the bonus points like the rest of us as we scream when the pink slip shows up! ;)

New Mexico has some REMARKABLE youth hunts, particularly when it comes to elk. Best opportunities in the West.

• Like 1