hntnIwlgo

What's cold for javelina?

yes they do move alot at night, but it does seem to be alittle more when supper could from what i've seen but i'm not a bioligest

I have seen them in unit 10 with 10-18 inches of snow and the temp being -8 below,we have killed them for 30 plus years in the snow

I think it is kind of a myth over the years they can't take the cold.they don't really have any problem with cold temps.many times out calling elk

at 1 or 2 am with a fulll moon I have seen them feeding,I have also called in turkeys at this time feeding when most think they are roosting in a tree.

Killed them on mingus in the 70's with a foot of snow temps were like 18,unit 22,34a way up high.ever hunted 9 in dec there are some of the biggest

pigs you will ever see 60lb plus.I think we use to listen back in the day when people didn't have a a clue they can survive the cold.

They use to tell us to cut the sent gland out as well.what a mistake that was.

The scent gland is an epidermal gland, it comes off with the skin. When you try and cut it out it often gets lacerated which, well you know. Don't worry about the scent gland just skin it like everything else.

Turkeys feeding at night?????

On the outdoor channel they showed a bunch of hens catching and eating fish out of a creek, if it wasn't on film I never would have believed that either.

/>The scent gland is an epidermal gland, it comes off with the skin. When you try and cut it out it often gets lacerated which, well you know. Don't worry about the scent gland just skin it like everything else.

On the outdoor channel they showed a bunch of hens catching and eating fish out of a creek, if it wasn't on film I never would have believed that either.

ive always skinned as usual with care taken around the glands, just thought he meant something else.

/> The scent gland is an epidermal gland, it comes off with the skin. When you try and cut it out it often gets lacerated which, well you know. Don't worry about the scent gland just skin it like everything else.

ive always skinned as usual with care taken around the glands, just thought he meant something else.

When I was a kid all the experts would tell you to remove the scent gland, we didn't know any better,it's on the back,on the outside

of the skin it's the stinky part of the pig you smell .move the hair on the back and look for a big areola a human nipple must have been why people didn't like eating them useing the same knife on the scent gland then cutting the meat good stuff,all you have to do is skin it and it comes off the opposite side.

not to hijack this topic but....From the results of this past weekend you should be worried about what is too hot for javelinas. It will be even hotter this weekend, in Tucson. in the areas that I am hunting the pigs are in the shaded bottoms eating all of those green grasses and wild onions. Why would they want to be out in the sun, exposed to hunters, eating thorny prickly pear. if you do find some that prefer that option in 37b, give me a heads up and maybe a pm.

• Like 2

Last year for my pig hunt it was around 10 degrees upon waking up, and they were out cruising around at 7:00am.