Kilimanjaro

A few more pics from yesterday

Here are a few pics I took yesterday out in the Mearns hills.. It was a horrible morning for getting out in the hills, but still better than being at work!! The wind was FIERCE, it was extremely dry with NO humidity in the air for the mutts to find any scent, and it was just plain dusty!! But, we went anyways.. it was just the family on this hunt... the Wifey and I with the kiddos out for the day to get out and get some dirt on my brand new pickup, and find a covey or 2 of birdies for the pups... We only ended up with 3 coveys by lunch and 2 birds to show for it (my POOR shooting!), and we decided that was good enough and to call it a day.. Each dog had one covey find of their own and I stumbled into one..

We still had a great morning hunt in spite of the adverse conditions!

Here I am walking in on the first covey of the day..

DSC01338.jpg

Here is Penny with a hard won bird.. She pointed this covey solo, and on the rise, I barely managed to get a pellet into this bird.. I watched him go down, but I could tell he was barely hit.. Penny stayed on the trail of this bird till she caught him halfway back up the side of the slope! She caught up with him, and brought him back to hand! I was so proud of her, and the bird was so flawless, that I decided to keep him for a mount.. wife was really proud of her little girl!!

DSC01330.jpg

What a beautiful bird... my all time favorite game bird.

DSC01328.jpg

And here is Virgil's covey find of the day with Penny backing and your's truely walking in..

DSC01310.jpg

I snapped this shot of these girlies after we woke them up from their mid day nap.. I wish I could have gotten a shot of that buck Casey and I saw last week!! WOW!!

DSC01346.jpg

thanks for lookin' guys!!

Great pics Scott. That looks like one handsome looking male mearns you got there. The gun aint to shabby either :P

Beautiful dogs too. Do you do your own training, or have someone do it for you? I've been toying w/ importing some rabbit dogs, but not sure if I can dedicate the time to them that they need.

Scott,

A good day considering the dryness. How's the new Ford? Received the cd today, thanks. Had some of those mearns last night, wrapped with green chiles and bacon, and grilled outside. Schmecht gut!

How bout posting some close-up pics of that Beretta :D ?

I went Sunday to find some Gambels with Rica. Flushed one small covey of three birds. Didn't hear a call, nor get a reply to some of my own :( . Will be looking for a new spot.

Doug

Scottyboy,

Great post and pictures. I have not made it that far South this year yet, but hope to soon.

Red Rabbit - Don't you live in in or near Flagstaff? If so, I was thinking we could link up and head South to meet up with Firstcoueswas80, ScottyBoy, Younghunter and etc. for a southern hunt.

Take care everybody.

El Fuego,

I am planning on heading south after spending Christmas in Phoenix with the folks and sisters, and chase some mearns and then coues with the bow.

RR

I am going to be spending the last 2 weeks of december and the first 2 weeks of january meanrs hunting, javelina hunting and coues deer hunting. Its gonna be rough but i think i can handle it

that a boy scott! did Bonnie carrie a gun or just the camera? i know why you only hit two birds.. you used the 20 guage instead of the LC!!!!

good job though! that it one beautiful male!

and no doubt about getting a pic of that toad we saw, he was a stud for sure!

El Fuego, i am always down for a hunt! i will be in tucson my whole winter break with my 12 guage o/u let me know!

thanks guys!!

you guys just let me know a date and we'll do a hunt! I'm headed home to TX for Xmas this year on the 21st.. gonna do a bit of Bobwhite hunting and maybe even a whitey hunt as well if I can find the time.. I'll be back on the 27th.. After that, we'll plan a Mearns hunt down south!! Hopefully, we'll get some moisture down there and then the dogs will have the advantage! How cool would a Mearns hunt in the snow be?? I would LOVE to do that at least once.

BTW Doug, the new truck drives like a dream!! Hurts the pocketbook though!! I can't wait to point it east and hit the highway and head to TX for a few days! Thanks for askin'!

thanks guys!!

you guys just let me know a date and we'll do a hunt! I'm headed home to TX for Xmas this year on the 21st.. gonna do a bit of Bobwhite hunting and maybe even a whitey hunt as well if I can find the time.. I'll be back on the 27th.. After that, we'll plan a Mearns hunt down south!! Hopefully, we'll get some moisture down there and then the dogs will have the advantage! How cool would a Mearns hunt in the snow be?? I would LOVE to do that at least once.

BTW Doug, the new truck drives like a dream!! Hurts the pocketbook though!! I can't wait to point it east and hit the highway and head to TX for a few days! Thanks for askin'!

I think it was 4 years ago maybe 5 I was south of Patagonia and we were able to hunt them in the snow. You think they hold tight now wait til you actually have to kick them in the air so they fly.