Sign in to follow this  
Heat

2014 Deer Draw - Which Archery Only Unit?

Which Archery Only Draw Hunt for Deer?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Which Archery Only Deer Hunt?

OK Folks,

I have 4 points going into the deer draw in 2014. I am an archery hunter first and foremost. Would you go for an Archery Only Unit 12 tag, Archery Only Unit 3A/3C tag, or keep building points for the Strip? I have some experience hunting the Kaibab, but don't make it up there enough to really have it wired yet. I have never hunted 3A/3C but know for a fact that it is home to many good mule deer bucks. Which unit would you choose and why? I have property in 3C and it is half the driving distance from where I live in Yuma making that unit much more likely to scout before season. That is a huge advantage to 3C for sure! Hard to beat the shear numbers of the Kaibab though. Tough decision. I'd love to hear your thoughts if you would like to share them.

Thanks,

Nick

I don't like hunting deer in velvet so the draw hunts suck.i wish the tag was good all the same times as a over the counter tag then I would be interested.

go ahead and apply. you never know. if not drawn... you will get a bonus point anyway.

Unless I hit the lotto so i can hire a guide or someone who has a lot of experience in the unit who wants to give me all their hot spots, I doubt I will put in for the Strip 13A or 13B. It takes me 11 hours to drive there, depending where I go on the Strip. I probably would rather hunt a unit with more numbers of deer rather than top trophy quality. With a brand new baby coming in May, I know I won't be able to get up there much if at all to scout. I wouldn't feel like I would be able to do one of those hunts justice in the situation I'm in. That's why I didn't put a lot of emphasis on those units in my question above. I also have no desire to hunt with a rifle and banking more points will do me no good from here out to draw 3C or the Kaibab. So I guess most people have little desire to hunt 3C or it is a secret knowbody wants let out so they aren't talking here. Chances are this is where I will apply. If anybody has anything to share regarding 3C I'm all ears.

Nick

I did the 12 a/b archery only hunt a few years back had no experience up their and living in tucson I had little to no time to scout but every day I ran into 20+ deer a day with at least a dozen of them being bucks I had a great time although it took me 9 days till I settled for a small 3. So far it's been the best hunt of my life.