Sign in to follow this  
firstcoueswas80

coues heart??

so the buck i shot this year, when i field dressed him, his heart was soft. i mean paper thin soft. all the other animals i have shot have had hard hearts. they were hard like a rock, i thought this was weird. any one had anything like this?

so the buck i shot this year, when i field dressed him, his heart was soft. i mean paper thin soft. all the other animals i have shot have had hard hearts. they were hard like a rock, i thought this was weird. any one had anything like this?

No.

Depending if the animals heart is contracting or on an off beat, the heart will be hard of soft.

See there Casey you went off and shot something soft hearted ,whats next little fluffy bunnies.

On a serious note, did you keep the heart to eat or no, was it fully intact or had it been hit.

no, the heart was not hit and it was fully intact. i did not keep it to eat it because it was so soft and weird, but usually i do.

How do you all cook the heart?

Who said anythjing about cooking :P

You savage :P

How old was your deer?

If the deer was old enough then it could have been any one of a number of ailments. Heart disease or anything else along those lines. Might have been a sick deer. or maybe had some sort of genetic problem. Animals get quite a few ailments, alothough most of them are fatal real early, and the rest fall into the " if it dosent kill them it makes them stronger" catagory. And like every other animal on the planet they are suspetable to old age. So could have been anything. even the "soft heart".

I think it depends on if the heart went into cardiac arrest while it was dying or not. I have seen many of both.

THE WAY YOU COOK HEART IS.... cut and trim off all fat and silver skin! Slice into strips about 1/2". Or desired thickness. I like mine about 1/2" by 3". Then bread it in flour and fry it in a little butter. (butter, not oil) Add salt and pepper to taste. It is great as a breakfast meat. Or cook it with onions and vegies for a dinner plate.

Don't mock it tell you try it! It's awesome!

I think it depends on if the heart went into cardiac arrest while it was dying or not. I have seen many of both.

THE WAY YOU COOK HEART IS.... cut and trim off all fat and silver skin! Slice into strips about 1/2". Or desired thickness. I like mine about 1/2" by 3". Then bread it in flour and fry it in a little butter. (butter, not oil) Add salt and pepper to taste. It is great as a breakfast meat. Or cook it with onions and vegies for a dinner plate.

Don't mock it tell you try it! It's awesome!

Thanks, I'll have to try that.

Did you kill it by the border?If so then he had probably been eating too many tortillas. :P

Did your buck bleed out? How long was the recovery?

bleeding out is probably the best answer. recovery was immideiate, he was shot and fell and was dead. took about 15 minutes to get to him. im thiniking loss of blood pressure?