Sign in to follow this  
coatimundi01

Stabilizer setups

12" B Stinger front with 12 oz and 8" B stinger rear/side with 14oz

A good Starting point is: Length of front bar x Weight on front bar, divided by lenght of rear bar.

Here is a great article on stabilization: http://www.archerylearningcenter.archerylive.com/images/stories/articles/stabilizers-archery-02-10.pdf

• Like 1

How does one determine where to start regarding length and weight (for a hunting rig)?

I would go as long and as heavy as reasonable to carry/pack.

I use a stab to hold steadier, and to increase the moment of inertia (moi) of the bow. A high moi reduces the ability of the bow to twist left, right, up or down. This helps reduce errors from grip torque, string torque, and grip pressure. They make the bow more forgiving.

If you play golf, stabilizers can be compared to heel-toe weighting on a putter, perimeter weighting on an iron, used to reduce error on miss hits.

And because you are adding weight to the bow, the little bobbles in your sight picture smooth out, like a bull barreled rifle.

Unfortunately, they keep making bows lighter. I work hard to make these "new" "great " bows hold steady, usually by making them heavy.

I'm using a 10" sims stabilizer with an offset that I made in my garge/shop. Piece of aluminum, cnc machine tool, hard anodize & there you go. Balances the bow to where I have no side tip even with a quiver full of arrows, although I usually shoot without the quiver anyway.

post-1431-0-74672500-1393903048.jpg

post-1431-0-40873000-1393903079_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

How does one determine where to start regarding length and weight (for a hunting rig)?

The set up I listed is on my hunting rig. Trial and error for me, I just kept trying different lengths, weights and offset angles until it balanced at full draw with my eyes closed. A good place to start is where elpepe25 explained. My bow is steadier with more weight, not surprising. But, that being said this is the first bow I have had to run a side bar on to counterbalance the lean I was getting at full draw.

azbwhntr, thanks for the reply. I'm gonna give the 10" a shot.

To keep the OP's post on topic, I've been shooting a Stealth Archery 6" with a limbsaver rubber doohicky on the end. It cuts hand shock and vibration great but in terms of eliminating torque and actually stabilizing the bow, I don't feel it does enough. Total weight is 11.2ozs but its all concentrated in the body of the stabilizer, not out at the end where it needs to be. I bought it 8 yrs ago and before I knew what was important when choosing a stabilizer. It works for some folks and a lot of people have good things to say about the Stealth but I don't think its as much a stabilizer as it is a vibration control device. And a heavy one at that...

BTW, that article elpepe cited is a good one. Quite the eye-opener.

matty , does that offset help your bubble level out right when you anchor? i think i may try that too very nice.

matty , does that offset help your bubble level out right when you anchor? i think i may try that too very nice.

I haven't really paid attention to that as I always have to settle in and move a little during my aiming process. What I was after was that on follow through after the release my bow would not tip to the side or forward. Instead it just stays put. I have a couple extras if you want one just pm me some mailing address or if you're near either avondale or Tempe you can swing by.

Good stuff guys, keep it coming!

Some reading I've been doing has me perplexed. People asking if certain bows needed a sidebar.

"No because I only hunt"

I'm for getting the most accurate hunting rig. If it needs a sidebar to help accuracy, I think it's more important on a live animal than it is on that foam animal.

Now I just need to keep stuffing my bowfund jar!

I'd love to be running a 15" & 10" Fuse blades, just don't feel like taking out a 2nd mortgage on my house.

On my Elite Answer:

10" Bstinger with 8oz out front

6" Bstinger with 4oz for my side bar

So how are these bars mounted to your bow? I'm looking at the mounting options from BS and it appears I can either go with their Elite QD mount which features QD mounts front and side on the same unit OR run the standard QD mount which looks like it requires the addition of a single QD mount for the front. Not even sure if what I just typed made sense but I can see it in my mind...

Can you post a pic?

Yeah but I already ordered a Bee Stinger front bar and I wouldn't imagine it would work in Dead Center's QD mounts. I'm finding that in order to level my bow at full draw I need to actually input that into my hold. When I attach my quiver, even more so. I'd rather it run more level on its own.