I like the idea of a shooting match. But to make it fun, for me anyway, it would have to be like a 3d archery shoot rather than a bench rest style match. Maybe I'll post this idea instead of ruffling feathers like I did earlier.

I guess Browning is lying, but they claim you can adjust the BOSS (which is a muzzle break) and group your shots better. Dang those guys!

I guess Browning is lying, but they claim you can adjust the BOSS (which is a muzzle break) and group your shots better. Dang those guys!

They might have been referring to adjusting your muzzle break to decrease or tune barrel whip ?

They might have been referring to adjusting your muzzle break to decrease or tune barrel whip ?

i have a factory brake on my weatherby 30-378 and i dont care how loud it is i wouldnt shoot it with out it, and in my opinion they do make you more accurate because you dont worry about the kick , i too would like to see a 2.5" group at 400 yds, what kind of rifle and scope combo is that....... cbryant

cbryant11,

I have a Weatherby chambered in .30-.378 as well. And, like yourself, the muzzle break makes the gun very enjoyable and efficient to shoot. I would not want to shoot this caliber, along with many others without a break.

Why do people buy new rims and tires for a new car? Because they can. Why would I put an muzzle brake on my .270 Because I can. But the most important reason why is for what it was designed for to reduce recoil. Whether its a 300 win. or a 270 win. that is what they were designed for. Or I may do it just to P&^% off the guys at the range because its so loud!LOL!

Bownut,

I have a constant ringing in my ears. Probably from shooting my Hoyts without ear protection for too many years ;)

Actually, I think the ringing is due to the last two seasons of quail hunting. Have some digital muffs for this year.

Seriously though, brakes are good to reduce recoil for the bench. I don't notice recoil when shooting at game, though. None of my rifles have a brake, but some friends' rifles do. I find the increased noise and blast may also cause flinching, just as recoil would. Reducing jump to see bullet impact and game reaction is a definite plus. A good recoil pad like the Sims, and a bench setup like the Caldwel lead sled also help make bench shooting tolerable without a brake. Can also use a Past shoulder pad. When shooting prone, one might consider a brake like the Holland with the ports to the side so dirt is not blasted up at the shot.

However, one friend shot a braked 300 win mag at a bear 4 times, without plugs, and his ears rang for months. How can you spell hearing damage? Would not consider shooting in the field without ear plugs. IMO, possible hearing loss is not worth the recoil reduction via a brake.

Doug~RR

Bownut,

I have a constant ringing in my ears. Probably from shooting my Hoyts without ear protection for too many years ;)

Actually, I think the ringing is due to the last two seasons of quail hunting. Have some digital muffs for this year.

Seriously though, brakes are good to reduce recoil for the bench. I don't notice recoil when shooting at game, though. None of my rifles have a brake, but some friends' rifles do. I find the increased noise and blast may also cause flinching, just as recoil would. Reducing jump to see bullet impact and game reaction is a definite plus. A good recoil pad like the Sims, and a bench setup like the Caldwel lead sled also help make bench shooting tolerable without a brake. Can also use a Past shoulder pad. When shooting prone, one might consider a brake like the Holland with the ports to the side so dirt is not blasted up at the shot.

However, one friend shot a braked 300 win mag at a bear 4 times, without plugs, and his ears rang for months. How can you spell hearing damage? Would not consider shooting in the field without ear plugs. IMO, possible hearing loss is not worth the recoil reduction via a brake.

Doug~RR

hearing loss will come from a rifle with no brake also just as easily

hearing loss will come from a rifle with no brake also just as easily

the amount of damage from a non-braked rifle does not even compare to the damage of a braked rifle. thats like apples to oranges.

i have shot with Doug when he shot a friends 7mag with a brake, and with ear plugs and mufss standing 10 yards behind doug my ears still rang.

when i shot my lion, my buddy had a brake on his 7WSM and he was 314 yards from me shooting at the second lion. from that distance my ears still hurt after his 4 shots. to me, it is not worth it!

""when i shot my lion, my buddy had a brake on his 7WSM and he was 314 yards from me shooting at the second lion. from that distance my ears still hurt after his 4 shots. to me, it is not worth it!""

I think I am reading this wrong...Are you saying your ears hurt from his shots when you were over 300 YARDS away?

Some interesting reading on brakes and hearing loss.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/muzzle_brakes.htm

http://keepandbeararms.com/information/XcI...tem.asp?ID=2052

http://www.freehearingtest.com/hia_gunfirenoise.shtml

http://www.elcaudio.com/decibel.htm

From elcaudio.com:

"Here are a few observations: The blast noise emanating from a rifle with a muzzle brake is measurably more intense than the same rifle without a muzzle brake. The .300 Win Mag bolt action (using xxx ammo—see Table 1) measured 7.3 dB more intense with the BOSS than without the BOSS. Note: A 7.3 dB increase in PPL is a 2.3-fold increase in sound pressure, as shown below:

20log [2.32P] = 20log 2.32 = 20 x 0.365 = 7.3 dB

P 1

Similarly, the Browning .22/250 (40 grain) measured 7.8 dB more intense with its BOSS than without it. Other comparisons can be made using Table 1.

Note: When comparing firearm peak pressure levels using Table 1, remember that a 1 dB difference can be heard, a 3 dB increase is “quite a bit” louder, and a 10 dB increase is “twice as loud.”

thanks for the links RR, there is some interesting info in those articles

This all just emphasises the importants of good hearing protection. Usually when I am shooting my rifles I will actually put in ear plugs underneath the ear muffs. And the last three shots I have taken on game with my 7 rum I had time to stuff some small pieces of TP in my ears, I know this is not satisfactory hearing protection but it does help alot after all of those shots my ears were not ringing at all.