Sign in to follow this  
Couestracker

Just applied in NM

Rolling the dice for another chance to hunt whitetails in New Mexico. First choice rifle, second muzzleloader, third rifle (carp).

Also applied for elk, antelope and oryx.

Good luck to anyone else applying there!

Ya you have to pay up front for New Mexico but they will even refund your hunting license if your not drawn.

Yep, mine is done. I sure like the way New Mexico does the draw. As a non resident, the odds aren't great but we have gotten lucky a couple of times. Next state up, Colorado. Maybe by that deadline, we will have the Arizona results.

Brent

Ya you have to pay up front for New Mexico but they will even refund your hunting license if your not drawn.

Not true. They refund the license/tag fee for the animal, but not your general hunting license you have to buy. See the bottom of page 5 on their FAQ about the draw.

You have to buy the license when you apply. There is a box that you have to check to get the license refunded if you don't draw. You get everything back minus the fee. If you check that box, it will not let you print a license until you draw. I looked at my refund from last year and got it all back minus the $8. Been doing it for years. Not sure where you read that but unless they changed something, it always seems to work.

Brent

You have to buy the license when you apply. There is a box that you have to check to get the license refunded if you don't draw. You get everything back minus the fee. If you check that box, it will not let you print a license until you draw. I looked at my refund from last year and got it all back minus the $8. Been doing it for years. Not sure where you read that but unless they changed something, it always seems to work.

Brent

Upon reading it closer, it appears that the no refund rule only applies to combo licenses, which non-residents can't buy anyways:

http://www.wildlife.state.nm.us/recreation/hunting/documents/FAQOnlineapp.pdf

"If I am not successful, do I get a refund for the game hunting license?
Refunds options are available for game hunting licenses purchased in conjunction with the draw. To be eligible for a
refund the applicant MUST choose the refund option AND must be unsuccessful for all big game applications. If the
refund option is not chosen, refunds will not be given. There is NO refund option for game hunting and fishing
combination licenses."