Sign in to follow this  
elkaholic

moultries newest cheapest camera

the A-5 game spy - I got 2 0f these for like $115 with a 2 yr warranty on ebay

they take 4 c batteries

they are the cheapest in the new 2013-14 line -up

I put one out on my property in unit 10 in sept-13 -- it took 11135 pictures it used 7.6 on the 8 mg card on 4 c energizers

it lasted till feb 26th - that's 6 mo.

these are 5 mp- pics - 90% were just trees and grass moving but that's my fault - I didn't realize how sensitive these cameras were. clarity varied due to the weather wind and sun direction.

this yr I'll clear a bigger area

heres a few samples

I have salt blocks out

they take great 10 second videos too

on the other property I got over 3500 pics which include elk deer coyote fox bobcat and even a lion during the same 7 mo period.

not bad for these camera- they will take up to a 32 gb card -- what a deal

post-3096-0-41700200-1396320649_thumb.jpg

post-3096-0-67465200-1396320724_thumb.jpg

post-3096-0-83988700-1396320777_thumb.jpg

post-3096-0-42705700-1396320856_thumb.jpg

post-3096-0-17760300-1396320911_thumb.jpg

We switched from spy point to the new Moultrie 990i and the new panoramic ones. Amazing pics and batter life to say the least.

nice pics! Unfortunately I swore to never buy another item that ran on "C" batteries ever again. :blink:

• Like 3

5.5x7x2 -

just google Moultrie A-5

they were in my price range - new -2 yr warranty -free shipping

work great

not a bunch of fancy features but a great little camera

I also got 2 of these cameras I am going to put them out next weekend. I couldn't justify spending big bucks (lol bucks)to put a camera on public land

For the money, the camera works fine and takes pictures. However, the huge draw backs when you go "cheap" is you lose a lot of nice features. The A-5 game spy has a delay of 1 minute, therefore, the camera cannot take a picture for an entire minute after it has taken the first picture (Other cameras only have a delay of a few seconds). If you have the camera on a trail you'll only likely get one picture of whatever comes by and you'll probably get the butt end given that the A-5 has a 2 second trigger speed (others cameras have .6-1sec trigger speeds). What this means is that from the moment that the cameras sensors pick up movement, it takes 2 seconds for the camera to take a picture. Also If you note in the nighttime picture, the Infra-red resolution is poor because the camera only has 12 low-glow IR LED lights, while other cameras like bushnells have 32 IR LED lights that provide excellent nighttime pictures.

When its all said in done, you can't beat the price on these moutlrie cameras. It gets the job done depending on what you intend to use if for, I would not recommend this camera to be used on a trail due to slow trigger speed and delay time, unless you are facing right into the trail. On a salt lick this camera works fine as elkaholic pictures show.

• Like 1

The A-5 is a very good camera, I have had mine since last May and it has never failed.

I plan to put mine on salt an/or water. I just have to narrow down what unit I'm going after for archery deer

are the time stamps correct on these photos? that first one shows nov 13, and that buck is definitely starting to rut. just look at the size of the neck on him! that just seems a month or so early...

Depends on where you are at for the Mule Deer rut. The RUT starts in mid-November on the Strip. But not till December in the desert down here around Tucson.