setarcher

Thoughts on Second Archery Season in November

Currently planning an OTC elk hunt during rut in Colorado and learned I was drawn for the AZ elk hunt this season. Not sure how lucky that means given it's my first draw (moved here in June last year).

On another forum, a guy stated the actual unit results should be out this week. He also said you normally get your first or second choice.

My choices in order were: 10, 7W, 3A/3C, 23, and 8 all during 14-27 Nov second archery season.

So for the veteran AZ elk hunters out there what can I expect in these units duringthis time of year?

I'm hoping I got 10 or 7W. If I had to guess, I'm afraid I got 23 given it had 200 tags for this date/season.

Given what the other guy said about top 2, how often does the draw go three deep into the process.

Other than 23, all other units had 25 with 10 having 30 tags.

I'll be able to dedicate a good amount of time packing in and remaining in the woods for 5-7 days.

Appreciate any thoughts.

Chances are you got 10 or 7w cause the others won't make it to the second draw they will be gone. Sitting tanks can be very good for that hunt, but my approach would be to get behind your glass the big bulls like to get in nasty canyons that time of year where there don't have to travel very far for food and water and they like to be by themselves.

As mentioned tanks are worth checking out especially if it's dry. Both 7W and 10 have good hills to glass from the top of. If you can find where some bulls are coming out to feed in the morning or evening that could be a great place to set up a blind. Good luck and let us know how you do!

The bull in my avatar was from the late archery hunt in 3c a few years ago. I hunted everyday of the season and some days I saw a dozen bulls and others I did not see an elk. I do not have the patience to sit water so I glassed and still hunted. Still hunted the bull releasing the arrow at 18 yards in very thick cover causing a stampede. I would do it again knowing this is NOT a rut hunt and the opportunity to not fill your tag strongly exist.

I haven't gone on a Nov archery hunt but congrats on drawing a tag.

On which unit you drew, it's going to be your 1st or 2nd choice. The way the draw works, there are not any elk tags left over after the 1st/2nd pass unless you applied for a limited opportunity hunt.

Basically, you cannot draw and elk tag on 3rd or 4th choice unless it's a limited opp hunt.

There is always a lot of confusion/misinformation on how the draw works but it's all on the G&F website under "how the draw works".

• Like 2

Thx for the replies and info. Tracking the water hole, glassing, and still hunting options; all right up my alley.

I'm flexible and not afraid of the tough stuff.

If need be, I can extend my time in the woods up to potentially 8 or 9 days. After that, I'll need to get back to work.

Really looking forward to it, and unlike the Colorado hunt we're prepping for, I should be able to dedicate a couple of scouting outings albeit I think there will be some other hunting in session at that time.

Depending on research, may try to draw those same areas for the deer season too.

Thx again, happy hunting to all and will certainly let you know how I do.

As another folllow up, in my research for unit 10, notice over half the unit is tied up with a cattle ranch. They allow access for a fee. I think it's $60 for the season access.

However, in their rules. they don't allow hunting on water tanks or within a certain distance.

Guess sitting tanks in 10 would have to be on the public land side, maybe in the National Forest...

Thx for the feedback as I continue to patiently wait to know the unit. Glad to know it is very likely 10 or 7W.

With the results out, I drew unit 10. Understand half of this unit is with the Big Boquilla (sp?) Ranch.

If I hunt the ranch property, sitting water holes is out given the rules for the ranch are you can't hunt within 100 yards of "any" water source. Guess that means natural run off in deep cuts/canyons. Not sure I understand that but it's there for a reason.

Will be my second hunting season in AZ and first for elk.

Based on experience, anyone have a preference on hunting the ranch property or national forest section?

Hunt the ranch! It's a giant unit with elk in most of it. Having many years of huning the unit i thinkThe late hunt can be great IMO. water can work,off the ranch of course, but I think spot and stalk is the way to go. The bulls are normally locked up on a food source and don't move hardly at all allowing to wait for the right stalk. Not to mention there is hardly any pressure and the few guys that do the hunt mostly hunt the weekends.The hard part isn't finding bulls, its finding an unbroken bull.

It's not all roses as it is a tough hunt and you will earn it, but it is very doable! Good luck

I have hunted these late archery hunts a bunch with very little success. Yet I keep trying. Finding elk usually isnt the problem its finding them where you can get to them and pull off the shot. Water always helps especially if its a dry winter.

With the results out, I drew unit 10. Understand half of this unit is with the Big Boquilla (sp?) Ranch.

If I hunt the ranch property, sitting water holes is out given the rules for the ranch are you can't hunt within 100 yards of "any" water source. Guess that means natural run off in deep cuts/canyons. Not sure I understand that but it's there for a reason.

Will be my second hunting season in AZ and first for elk.

Based on experience, anyone have a preference on hunting the ranch property or national forest section?

The rules have become more strict as time goes on. There has even been talk of them closing the ranch to the hunting public in recent years. This is due to the few "slob" hunters that give the rest of us a bad name. They leave trash, don't stay on the roads, don't follow the rules, etc. The Game and Fish has worked hard with the ranch to keep it open because it is such a big part of the unit. That is one reason why they get volunteers every year to do a clean up of the ranch.

Thx again for all the input. I'll be taking 7-10 days of leave to conduct this hunt and agree, weekdays in the late season hunt will likely be pretty sparce of other hunters. There's only 29 other tags during this block and the it is a huge area.

I'm gonna call the ranch and meet with someone in preparation for the hunt so they can get a feel for who I am, how I operate, and give them comfindence that I'm there to preserve their ranch as much as I am to harvest an elk.

Goal is to get out and scout during Columbus and Veteran's Day weekends so I can learn the access points, validate what I think from map/google earth analysis, and then get after it.

Happy hunting and good luck to you all this year.

I mean this as no disrespect but they don't care about what kind of hunter/person you are. If you have $60 you are on... It's all about money. Period... Just like most things with wildlife nowadays.

I mean this as no disrespect but they don't care about what kind of hunter/person you are. If you have $60 you are on... It's all about money. Period... Just like most things with wildlife nowadays.

No disrespect taken. I'm not doing it to gain access. I'm doing it on behalf of all hunters now and into the future. If they've been considering reducing or stopping hunter access due to less than respectful hunters, which is perfectly within their right to do, the least we respectful and honorable hunters can do is go the extra mile.

I disagree about it being all about money. A ranch that big could easily charge more. Assuming every tag holder in Nov pays the fee, they only get $1800. That's nothing.

As the saying goes, you catch more bees with honey than vinegar. I've gained plenty of access to private areas simply by being a sincere, cordial advocate for the outdoors. Yeah, in this case $60 gains the access, but there's not shortage of what else you can gain by being a decent human being. Heck, I may even get a good tip or two to increase my odds.

• Like 3