Sign in to follow this  
Rombo

Snow Bird Down

Here is a photo of my buddies turkey from 27 this past weekend. Lots of birds in 27 post burn. I was very impressed. 9" beard with 3/4" spurs.... Gone roosting!

post-2625-0-59845100-1398882373_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

Thanks Rfactor.... His shooting improved after we saw you at lunch.... First turkey is always the hardest it seems. I could call the birds in but not lead the horse to water, so to say!!

• Like 1

Great bird!!!! Good job guys

Congrats on the "Snow Bird" LOL. Those stats were the same for the one I shot in 27 last Friday morning. He was a heavy bird and came in on a string with another bird.

I spent a few days in unit 27. Lots of turkeys gobbling pack at us but I couldn't get one to come in. They seemed to run away when we made any noise. We even found a great roost and sat 40 yards from it come sun up yelping and the toms flew in the other direction. I don't get it? Any tips?

What calls were you using? In the past I used mouth calls and a dual chamber commercial box call with mixed results. I don't think I've become a better caller per say but this year I picked up a call from Ammon at Little Creek Calls and after trying a couple of his calls at the seminar he put on at Sportsmans I found one that just seemed to sound perfect, very mellow and consistent.

It really gave me a lot of confidence and I believe it was key to my success this year.

The birds that did come in were already off the roost. The first pair I called to came in from 200 yards at about 6-15am and the other two at about 7am from about 75 yards.

Excellent!! Congrats!!!