WildmanKC

Freak animals

I'm not sure you can tell from these pics but this mulie my daughter shot last year was actually an antlered doe. I was at a loss when I went to field dress the deer and it had no twig n berries :D. as you can see in the pics there is also a little dried velvet remaining on her antlers

What freaks or odd ball animals have you guys n gals taken over the years?

post-12363-0-12114800-1400465227_thumb.jpg

post-12363-0-56044300-1400465229.jpg

post-12363-0-38021700-1400465311_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Congrats to your daughter on a fine deer. 30 years ago in the Kaibab I had a fellow hunter stop me to show his female "buck." He had field dressed the deer but left the genitalia attached. Different for sure. The rack was "feminine," a decent 4X4 with little mass. Later when getting checked by a warden we mentioned the deer. The warden said they see a few every year hence the "antlered" deer notation in the regs.

• Like 1

I let an arrow fly yesterday at a bearded hen. My arrow was close enough to cut a few feathers off

Bearded hens are not that uncommon. I shot one a number of years ago during a spring hunt. Fellow turkey hunters let me know that I'd likely taken a hen away from her clutch. Felt pretty low at that point.

Could it have been a cactus buck? A cactus buck is usually the result of a buck that has had some form of accident (usually with a fence) where it has lost its genitals. It usually results in unusual antler growth and velvet staying on the antlers.

• Like 1

It was definitely a doe. There was no evidence, no scarring from an accident of any sort.