Sign in to follow this  
AZHUNTER05

WHAT STATE WOULD YOU PICK FOR A OTC ARCHERY ELK HUNT?

Well my hunting buddy and I decided we are going to head out of state this year for a DIY OTC elk tag. Neither of us have any experience hunting any state other then Arizona, so we were hoping for some help picking which state to hunt. We originally planned to head up and do a Colorado hunt, but I saw on another thread that Utah had a lot of left over tags this year. So my question to you guys is what state would you pick to hunt and why? We aren't looking for monsters, just wanting to be successful. Thx for the help!

Just watched an episode of The Western Hunter where they did an OTC Idaho hunt. They were into bulls quite often. He took a decent 6x in north central Idaho. I will be in Colorado this year myself but not on an OTC hunt. If OTC i think I would do Idaho and research a good area.

FYI from what i hear about the Colorado OTC units it is tough hunting and lots of people. My friend did it last year on horses in a supposed good area. They packed way back in away from the crowds. All in all they saw one spike and that was it.

Do not be deceived by Nate Simmons and Ryan Hatfield in Idaho. Those guys live and hunt there every year and hunt way back there. Not to be a downer but I lived there for 3 years, hunted 20+ days and heard 3 bulls bugle in that time.

There are places where you can have a great hunt, just don't go there expecting an AZ like rut experience and be prepared to do lots of research, lots of hiking and lots of climbing.

I loved my time there and definitely got better at it, but it is a tough hunt. For what it's worth if I was going OTC I would go to ID but that's because I have some starting points and a lifetime license. I also lived in UT and depending on what is leftover that could be very tempting. Those hunts are pre-rut and can be very water centric. Their water sources are centered around creeks and streams not tanks so tht helps keep the crowds spread out.

• Like 1

Thanks for the info guys. Idaho is a little bit further then we would like to go, so we are set on either Utah or Colorado. I'm leaning more towards Utah, because the tags are cheaper and the terrain isn't as steep. I've talked to multiple people about the Colorado hunt and they seem to be 50/50 on wether it's a good idea or bad.

Flatlander do you know if any of the southern Utah units are any good?

Some are real good. Not sure what has leftovers. Fish lake, Monroe, Pahvant and se desert are all decent but I would be surprised if those have leftovers at least for the bull hunts

If you can bow hunt, Wyoming will have a few leftover tags here and there.

Idaho can be good, just be sure you go to one of the units that haven't been torn to shreds by wolves. Even some those units are making a comeback, as they are starting to get a grip on wolf populations, but your time and money can be better spent elsewhere.

All I can say is don't do AZ. It's so hot here the elk are pre-cooked for ya.

I would recommend you look into getting a cow tag in AZ on the white mountain apache reservation. Great fun hunt close to home with big bulls bugling. I have hunted Colorado and New Mexico and once you have hunted AZ there is no comparison. I have hunted the white mountain apache reservation and it is a blast with tons of elk and it's reasonable priced and close to home.

Good Luck

• Like 1